Posted to fx-dev@ws.apache.org by bimalee salpitikorala <bi...@gmail.com> on 2006/12/26 10:33:10 UTC

WS-Business Activity Specification Implementation for Apache Kandula2

 Hi,

I'm Bimalee Salpitikorala, a final year student from Faculty of Information
Technology, University of Moratuwa. As our final year group project we
choose to implement the Ws-Business Activity specification for Apache
Kandula2. Currently we have studied all related subjects plus completed
the code analysis for the WS-Coordination and WS-Atomic transaction
implementations.

In the mailing list we have seen that there are some people who have already
implemented this specification. It would be a great if they can share their
experiences with us.

Since we are hoping to  implement this within the kandula2 itself we would
like to take all important decisions regarding the project through the
mailing list itself.

Thank you!

Yours sincerely,

Bimalee

Re: WS-Business Activity Specification Implementation for Apache Kandula2

Posted by bimalee salpitikorala <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Simon,

Wish you too a very happy new year and really sorrry for the late reply.

Thank you very much for the information and what we are planning to do is to
discuss the issues which are not clearly defined in the specification  in
the mailing list and come up with solutions.

Hope we would be able to clarify things and to we'll be able to come up with
a good ws-ba impl for kandula2...

Thanx again.

regards
Bimalee

Posted by bimalee salpitikorala <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Simon,

Posted by Sanjaya Amarasekera <cr...@yahoo.com>.
I agree with Thilina, in fact that is what I have done exactly. I have provided 2 Interfaces for WS-BA for both Coordination type in the Coordinator implementation. Furthermore, I have provided a Callback based implementation for those two interfaces. These implementations are Abstract classes that encapsulate coordination type specific rules (eg: all or nothing property for AtomicOutcome type).
  Any applications that wish to implement WS-BA Coordinator only have to inherit these abstracts classes overriding the abstract methods. These methods will be part of the application code which handles the coordination logic (basically doing the decision making based on incoming messages, participant’s status and issue required notifications).

  I have similar implementations for participants as well. In AT the client API is callback based and very simple. For BA clients, the API is callback based and the state management is internally handled. The callbacks will be triggered for the participants when notifications are received from the coordinator and they can respond as they wish. The integrity of the message exchange and the state management is internally handled so that clients will not break the BA Specification.

  I have attached the Code for AT and BA client APIs, AtomicOutcome Abstract class and sample usages scenario for AT and BA client APIs

  APIs

  1. AT client API (for Durable2PC)    - ATDurable2PCTransaction
  2. BA client API (for CoordinatorCompletio)    - BACoordinatorCompletionParticipant– (inherits AbstractBACoordinatorCompletionParticipant)

  3. BA Coordinator Abstract Class (for AtomicOutcome) -  AbstractBusinessActivityWithAtomicOutcome

  The Sample applications

  The implementations of the AbstractBusinessActivityWithAtomicOutcome can have the coordination per se. However, I have deviated from that an have implemented two concrete classes BusinessActivityWithAtomicOutcome and   BusinessActivityWithMixedOutcome BusinessActivityWithMixedOutcome and use instances of those two classes in the given sample application.

  4. Sample AT Participant application code - ATParticipantCompletionCommit

  5. Sample Coordinator/Initiator application code (for MixedOutcome)  -   BAInitiatorParticipantClosed

  6. Sample BA Participant application code  – BAParticipantParticipantClosed

  7. BA Coordinator Callback based AtomicOutcome  – BusinessActivityWithAtomicOutcome

  8. BA Coordinator Callback based MixedOutcome – BusinessActivityWithMixedOutcome

  regards
  sanjaya

hil@gmail.com> wrote:

  Hi all,
Nice to hear about all of your efforts...

The WS-BA spec is aimed at supporting business processes and work
flows to manage their activity life cycles.. Specifically to deal with
faulty situations.. Because of that, I too agree with Sanjaya
regarding the use of a business initiator...
IMHO we should have a clean implementation of the WS-BA spec in the
first place.. Anybody should be able to use that as a basis to provide
ws-ba ability for thier existing business process or work flow
engines... At this moment what comes to my mind is that we need to
provide an interface or a Transaction Manager which gives user the
ability to drive the activity... This should expose the
initiator+coordinator functionality of ws-ba...
We can have the business initiator as an additional feature which uses
that interface..

AFIKS the participant implementation will be the most valuable feature
when in it comes to Kandula.. IMHO anybody who is going to use ws-ba
as a base for their business process implementation is likely to have
their own tightly coupled implementation underneath for performance
reasons... But the participant web services (which will be running on
Axis2 ;-) ) will need Kandula to provide the ws-ba participant
functionality.
I would like to hear more about the participant designs in Hannes &
Sanjaya's implementations.

Thanks,
Thilina

--
Thilina Gunarathne
WSO2, Inc.; http://www.wso2.com/

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: WS-Business Activity Specification Implementation for Apache Kandula2

Posted by Sanjaya Amarasekera <cr...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Thilina Gunarathne <cs...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Thilina Gunarathne <cs...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

AW: WS-Business Activity Specification Implementation for Apache Kandula2

Posted by Sanjaya Amarasekera <cr...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Everybody,

  I have implemented all WS Coordination, AT and BA Specifications on .Net platform. However, my design is technology independent and it can be easily implemented on any platform. If anyone is interested i can send the source code.

  CC Bimalee:  feel free to contact me for any assistance.

  CC Hannes:  I doubt the appropriateness of WS-Business Activity Initiator protocol. In BA scenario, the initiator itself becomes the coordinator. In contrast to AT Specification, the abstract nature of the BA Specification allows the Initiator to decide the coordination logic. In such situations where the coordination logic resides within the Initiator application (eg: workflow engines), it is highly unlikely to use an external coordinator.

  However, I agree the fact that the introduction of a WS-Business Activity Initiator protocol is possible and it is in accordance with the BA Specification.

  When the Initiator ad Coordinator becomes two different entities, the Initiator requires to know the status information of all the participants (which coordinator possesses) and the coordinator need to know the coordination logic (which Initiator possesses).  Therefore, such a new protocol should be capable of exchanging all the information (these information could be application specific as well) between the Coordinator and the Initiator.

  Considering the amount of information exchange, it is very important to reduce the transportation overheads/ delays. Usage of a new WS-Business Activity Initiator protocol will require this communication to happen by means of Web service requests/ responses which is costly.

  The question arises is that considering the usage scenarios of BA such as workflow engines, whether is it necessary to separate the Coordinator from Initiator bearing the aforementioned overheads and difficulties.

  In my implementation I have made the Coordinator and Initiator to be a single entity and the coordination logic to be part of the application code. The coordination rules for each Coordination Type (Mixed outcome and Atomic outcome) is managed outside the application code and hence, the application is free from unnecessary burdens.

  However, there can be scenarios where the existence of an independent trusted Coordinator is essentials. My implementation supports such scenarios by encapsulating the coordination logic within the Coordinator and allowing it to run independently. In such scenarios, participants can join the business activity using participant protocols defined in BA Specification.

  Regards
  Sanjaya

  Hi Bimalee,

> In the mailing list we have seen that there are some people who have
> already implemented this specification. It would be a great if they can
> share their experiences with us.

Georg and I have more or less completed the WS-BA implementation for
Kandula 1. We are currently working on a "real world" demonstration
application to include with the source code and hope that this will help
mature our code to have it released to the public.

As the WS-BA specification does not include the initiator<-->coordinator
interface we defined a new "WS-Business Activity Initiator" protocol to
fill this gap. Unfortunately we are still waiting for our univiersity's
approval to publish it, but are looking forward to get it in the next week.

As to Kandula 2: if you don't want to do a complete rewrite of
everything, all you need to do was to insert the WS-BA hooks to the
existing WS-BA implementation into the kandula 2 core.
The WS-BA implementation Georg and I did does not require a specific
axis implementation, I guess with some minor tweaks it should also run
on Axis 2.

Best regards and season's greetings,

-hannes

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: WS-Business Activity Specification Implementation for Apache Kandula2

Posted by Sanjaya Amarasekera <cr...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Everybody,

Posted by Hannes Erven <ha...@erven.at>.
Hi Bimalee,