Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Matt Zimmerman <md...@csh.rit.edu> on 2003/06/03 19:47:21 UTC

Change docBase without losing requests?

[apologies if this comes through as a duplicate; the list management
software seems to be upset about my envelope From address]

I am working on a web app deployment mechanism based on tomcat.  Tomcat's
deployment options are excellent; I especially appreciate the ability to
deploy a Context with an XML descriptor.

What I need to be able to do is to update the code behind a particular web
app, without losing any requests.  "reload" seems to do an excellent job of
this, but in my case, I have a large number of instances of the same
application sharing code on disk.  To update them, I want to change the
context to point to a new docBase.

Currently, the only way I see to do this within tomcat is by removing the
context and installing a new one in its place.  Of course, with this
approach, there is a window here where requests will return an error, rather
than being queued.

Looking at how reload currently works, it seems like it should be relatively
straightforward to extend tomcat to be able to do this.  But is this the
right approach?  Is there a better plan?

--
 - mdz

Re: Change docBase without losing requests?

Posted by Matt Zimmerman <md...@debian.org>.
On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 07:57:41PM +0200, Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Well, if you look at the (recent) archives for tomcat-dev, you'll see I'm
> working on a pretty extensive refactoring of the deployer in TC 5.  That
> should provide the features you mention. You can comment or contribute if
> you wish, of course.

Great, thanks for pointing me to this.  I'm pulling down TC 5 CVS now.

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> [apologies if this comes through as a duplicate; the list management
> software seems to be upset about my envelope From address]
>
> I am working on a web app deployment mechanism based on tomcat.  Tomcat's
> deployment options are excellent; I especially appreciate the ability to
> deploy a Context with an XML descriptor.
>
> What I need to be able to do is to update the code behind a particular web
> app, without losing any requests.  "reload" seems to do an excellent job of
> this, but in my case, I have a large number of instances of the same
> application sharing code on disk.  To update them, I want to change the
> context to point to a new docBase.
>
> Currently, the only way I see to do this within tomcat is by removing the
> context and installing a new one in its place.  Of course, with this
> approach, there is a window here where requests will return an error, rather
> than being queued.
>
> Looking at how reload currently works, it seems like it should be relatively
> straightforward to extend tomcat to be able to do this.  But is this the
> right approach?  Is there a better plan?

Well, if you look at the (recent) archives for tomcat-dev, you'll see
I'm working on a pretty extensive refactoring of the deployer in TC 5.
That should provide the features you mention. You can comment or
contribute if you wish, of course.

Remy