Posted to test-dev@httpd.apache.org by Jacek Prucia <ja...@acn.waw.pl> on 2003/08/25 00:23:58 UTC

flood: responsescript patch, take 2

This is responsescript patch, but this time written around APR poll API. I'm
not sure if I have got everything right, so APR gurus are welcome to take a
look. I have tested this against a bunch of web pages, and didn't see any
problem though.

regards,
Jacek Prucia

Re: flood: responsescript patch, take 2

Posted by Jacek Prucia <ja...@acn.waw.pl>.
On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 15:43:59 -0400 (EDT)
Norman Tuttle <nt...@photon.poly.edu> wrote:

> Jacek:
>
> Now that you've added this in, what exactly does it do?

I didn't added this in yet -- this is just a proposal. If it's get accepted
I'll comit this along with the docs update.

Anyway, if <url> element has responsescript attribute, then flood tries to
start whatever this attribute points to. If it's value happens to be valid
system executable (say some perl script), then flood sets one way pipe -- it
writes response buffer to script standard input.

> How does it hook into Flood to provide feedback from response data (or does
> it)?

This is just one way ticket. The only way script can comunicate with flood is
through exit system call. Exit code of 0 means "response is OK, go on with
testing", while any other value means "response is bad... let's stop, so we
can investigate this in detail".

> Do you
> have any example scripts that exhibit these properties?

I have some, but I won't post them. We are sharing this mailing list with some
perl gurus, and they'd probably kill me for how I write perl scripts ;))

Seriously, you just read standard input (STDIN in perl) any way you like, and
check response for interesting stuff (header values, HTML body and the like).
I'll update the docs with simple example in perl and/or python soon.

Posted by Norman Tuttle <nt...@photon.poly.edu>.
Jacek:

Now that you've added this in, what exactly does it do? How does it hook
into Flood to provide feedback from response data (or does it)? Do you
have any example scripts that exhibit these properties?

-Norman Tuttle ntuttle@opendemand.com (OpenDemand Systems)

PS: We have interest because we are also thinking of expanding the response
template paradigm and do not want to duplicate work done already.