Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by KC <rk...@yahoo.com> on 2010/08/13 14:01:23 UTC

James as content / policy filter

Hi folks

I'm just starting to look at James and the possibilities of using it as a
content / policy filter for both inbound and outbound email on a number of
different domains.

I've had a look at the matchers and mailets and tested a few of them, e.g.
adding a disclaimer to email from particular senders.

Is it possible to use wildcards to match whole domains for some of the matchers
such as 'SenderIs' in order to apply a mailet against the whole domain rather
than having to define all of the domain email addresses in the config file?

Additionally, as I'm looking at implementing the content filtering idea for a
number of domains, for management purposes I was hoping to be able to store user
policy information in a database. Does it sound feasible to have a set of
policies in the config file which are applied based on users having the specific
policy enabled in the database?

I haven't got my head completely around the James architecture so I'm possibly
looking at this the wrong way.

I'd be interested to find out if anybody has setup James to be a content filter
for a number of different domains in this way.

Thanks in advance.

KC

Re: James as content / policy filter

Posted by KC <rk...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks for the quick reply Norman

I don't think I read the matcher docs closely enough!

With regard to our current setup, we use Postfix as our frontline MTA so I am
primarily looking at James as a content filter behind that. As you say though it
does sound like it can fit our requirements so I will definitely be doing
further research on it.

Thanks again.

> I'm just starting to look at James and the possibilities of using it as a
> content / policy filter for both inbound and outbound email on a number of
> different domains.
>
> I've had a look at the matchers and mailets and tested a few of them, e.g.
> adding a disclaimer to email from particular senders.
>
> Is it possible to use wildcards to match whole domains for some of the
matchers
> such as 'SenderIs' in order to apply a mailet against the whole domain rather
> than having to define all of the domain email addresses in the config file?

Yeah you could use the RecipientIsRegex matcher for that. See:
http://james.apache.org/server/2.3.2/provided_matchers.html

> Additionally, as I'm looking at implementing the content filtering idea for a
> number of domains, for management purposes I was hoping to be able to store
>user
> policy information in a database. Does it sound feasible to have a set of
> policies in the config file which are applied based on users having the
>specific
> policy enabled in the database?

Sure I did something similar at my old employer. We stored stuff in db
and lookup the values in a given matcher/mailet.

> I haven't got my head completely around the James architecture so I'm possibly
> looking at this the wrong way.
>
> I'd be interested to find out if anybody has setup James to be a content
filter
> for a number of different domains in this way.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> KC

With current trunk you even can do a lot of this in the smtp protocol.
So you could reject email before you even spool it etc.

Bye,
Norman

Ps: Yes JAMES sounds like a good fit for you needs

Re: James as content / policy filter

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
Hi,

comments inside...