Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by "Peter L. Berghold" <pe...@berghold.net> on 2008/07/12 05:29:40 UTC

Catalina error: out of memory

Re: Catalina error: out of memory

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Jul 12, 2008, at 9:42 AM, Peter L. Berghold wrote:

> Tim McConnell wrote:
>>
>> -Xms256m -Xmx256m
>
> Thanks for the pointer. I've implemented this suggestion thusly:
> JPDA_OPTS="-Xdebug -Xms256m -Xmx256m
> -
> -Xrunjdwp:transport=$JPDA_TRANSPORT,address=
> $JPDA_ADDRESS,server=y,suspend=$JPDA_SUSPEND"
>
> Is there a point of diminishing returns on these values?  I'm actually
> running three separate web apps (websites) on the same server so I
> want
> to make sure they are not being starved for memory.

How big are your apps? Are you running out of heap memory or permgen
memory (assuming you're on a Sun VM). Are you deploying/undeploying
apps?

Also, are you debugging the server/your applications? If not, then
there's no reason to be running with JPDA.

If you're using the geronimo.sh/.bat script to start Geronimo. I'd:

export JAVA_OPTS="-Xmx512m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m"
./geronimo.sh run

JAVA_OPTS would alter both 'run' and 'jpda run'. So, works in either
scenario...

There are a couple of ways to monitor memory usage. One is to use the
Server Information portlet on the admin console e.g.:

http://localhost:8080/console/portal/Server/Information

This will only monitor server heap memory.

Alternatively, have the JVM dump memory usage statistics:

export JAVA_OPTS="-Xmx512m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m -verbose:gc -XX:
+PrintGCDetails -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError"

Assuming you're running a Sun VM, this will dump detailed GC
statistics to STDOUT. The -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError parm will
cause a heap dump to be generated if an OOM error occurs. This can be
used for post-mortem analysis by a number of tools.

--kevan

Re: Catalina error: out of memory

Posted by "Peter L. Berghold" <pe...@berghold.net>.

Re: Catalina error: out of memory

Posted by Tim McConnell <ti...@gmail.com>.
Hi Peter, are you providing enough memory to your JRE ?? I typically use these
java options to properly run Geronimo:

-Xms256m -Xmx256m

Peter L. Berghold wrote:

Tim McConnell