Posted to user@aurora.apache.org by Ziliang Chen <zl...@gmail.com> on 2016/06/11 08:19:34 UTC

Delete cron/service job in Aurora

Hi,

May i ask if there is a way to completely remove cron/service job from
Aurora ?
For cron job, when i deschedule them, they become adhoc jobs.
For service job, what i can do is killall them.
Still on the Aurora UI, i can still see all of the tasks.

Another question is for service job, how can i make Aurora reschedule it
immediately when failure. From GUI, i saw "throttling" status reporting.

Thank you !

--
Regards, Zi-Liang

Mail:zlchen.ken@gmail.com

Re: Delete cron/service job in Aurora

Posted by "Erb, Stephan" <St...@blue-yonder.com>.
FWIW, we have a list of all scheduler command line options [1]. It tends to be helpful when you have at least a vague idea of what you are looking for :-)

The problem you describe with your cron job sounds like you already have a regular adhoc job or service running with that particular jobkey. In order to resolve the situation, first terminate the running job (`job killall devcluster/www-data/test/cron_hello_world`) and then schedule it as a cron job (`aurora cron schedule devcluster/www-data/test/cron_hello_world cron_hello_world.aurora`)?.

[1] https://github.com/apache/aurora/blob/master/docs/reference/scheduler-configuration.md

________________________________
I was trying to find the documentation about all of this this but failed.
Regarding to the dead tasks, i was encountering one issue in rescheduling a cron job. i can see the job became "adhoc" status on GUI. But i can't reschedule it (reported "Job xxx already exists") and also can't deschedule it (reported "Job xxx is not scheduled with cron"). Any thoughts ?

On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 10:20 PM, Bill Farner <wf...@apache.org>> wrote:
May i ask if there is a way to completely remove cron/service job from Aurora ?
For cron job, when i deschedule them, they become adhoc jobs.
For service job, what i can do is killall them.
Still on the Aurora UI, i can still see all of the tasks.

Dead tasks (the remnants of a killed job) are reclaimed eventually so that they may still be observed, by default in at most 2 days [1] or if a job's history becomes lengthy [2].  There is no mechanism to forcibly delete them.  In practice, i've found this to do more good than harm.

Another question is for service job, how can i make Aurora reschedule it immediately when failure. From GUI, i saw "throttling" status reporting.

Aurora will back off from rescheduling a service task when it runs but exits quickly [3].  This is to prevent starvation of the scheduler in large/busy clusters.  The best course of action is to stabilize the job so that it remains up longer.

[1] https://github.com/apache/aurora/blob/master/src/main/java/org/apache/aurora/scheduler/pruning/PruningModule.java#L41-L44
[2] https://github.com/apache/aurora/blob/master/src/main/java/org/apache/aurora/scheduler/pruning/PruningModule.java#L46-L48
[3] https://github.com/apache/aurora/blob/master/src/main/java/org/apache/aurora/scheduler/scheduling/SchedulingModule.java#L43-L56

Mail:zlchen.ken@gmail.com<ma...@gmail.com>