Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Diggory <md...@latte.harvard.edu> on 2002/02/08 18:42:40 UTC

Please someone, I really need help with this issue.

I anyone has any experince with this please let me know. It could be
just one sentence (Even just one word!). I just need to know why I can't
run my users jsp's through my warp connector...

Here's my Connector in server.xml

<!-- Define an Apache-Connector Service -->
<Service name="Tomcat-Apache">

<Connector
	className="org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnector"
         enableLookups="true"
         acceptCount="10" debug="0"/>

<!-- Replace "localhost" with what your Apache "ServerName" is set to -->
        <Engine
	className="org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpEngine"
         name="Apache"
	debug="0"
	appBase="webapps">

        <!-- Attempt to define a default virtual host and a listener
     to map the user dir's  through the apache connector-->
          <Host
		name="Apache"
		debug="0"
		appBase="webapps"
		unpackWARs="true">

	     <Listener
		className="org.apache.catalina.startup.UserConfig"
                	directoryName="public_html"
                	homeBase="/home/login"
              userClass="org.apache.catalina.startup.HomesUserDatabase"/>
            </Host>

        </Engine>

      </Service

   I assume I would  need  to use a WebAppDeploy descriptor to map the
   users directories to Tomcat, how would I do that for generic users
   directories (~/public_html)?

   WebAppConnection warpConnection warp localhost:8008
   WebAppDeploy examples warpConnection /examples/
   WebAppDeploy manager warpConnection /manager/
   WebAppDeploy webdav warpConnection /webdav/

Re: Please someone, I really need help with this issue.

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
I tried including

WebAppDeploy ROOT warpConnection /

this totally doessn't work, the ROOT mapping interfereswith all the other mappings and then nothing works but the ROOT mapping.

if I hard code the sers directory with WebAppDeploy then it works, but
this is not scaleable....

WebAppDeploy ~mdiggory warpConnection /~mdiggory/

Specifically, I'm trying to map users ~/user/public_html directories so
that webapps deployed there are available via tomcat's WARP connection
in apache. So that

/home/login/~mdiggory/public_html/index.jsp gets execuuted by
tomcat/apache. There is an excellent example of using tomcat in user
directories in the Documentation of the Host element.

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/config/host.html

This only seems to work on the tomcat standaloneport 8080 (I have  the
example ruunning such that when I go to
http://localhost:8080/~mdiggory/index.jsp It is executed by tomcat
correctly.

However, I want it on Apaches default 80 port, so I moved all this Host
Listener information into the the WARP connector:

  <!-- Define an Apache-Connector Service -->
  <Service name="Tomcat-Apache">

    <Connector className="org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnector"
     enableLookups="true"
     acceptCount="10" debug="0"/>

    <!-- Replace "localhost" with what your Apache "ServerName" is set
to -->

    <Engine className="org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpEngine"
     name="vdc.fas.harvard.edu" debug="0" appBase="webapps">

      <!-- Global logger unless overridden at lower levels -->

              prefix="apache_log." suffix=".txt"
              timestamp="true"/>

       <!-- Attempt to define a default virtual host and a listener to
map the user dir's  through the apache connector-->

     <Host name="vdc.fas.harvard.edu" debug="0" appBase="webapps"
unpackWARs="true">
       <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.startup.UserConfig"
           directoryName="public_html"
           homeBase="/home/login"
           userClass="org.apache.catalina.startup.HomesUserDatabase"/>
       </Host>
    </Engine>

  </Service>

thanks for any tips...