Posted to dev@slider.apache.org by "hsy541@gmail.com" <hs...@gmail.com> on 2014/08/04 20:37:32 UTC

Is there a way to run application on certain subset of nodes?

Hi guys,

I'm new to slider and try to convert some application into yarn app. I
would like to ask is there a way to specify only a subset of nodes in the
cluster to run my app and can slider guarantee every container(of that
application) run on different nodes?

Thank you very much!

Best,
Siyuan

Re: Is there a way to run application on certain subset of nodes?

Posted by "hsy541@gmail.com" <hs...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Sumit!

Best,
Siyuan

Posted by Sumit Mohanty <sm...@hortonworks.com>.
> [...]

> > allocation on different nodes for same container type. This feature is
> not
> > yet available and in the mean time you can enforce it by asking more than
> > half of available resource (e.g. memory) per host.
> >
> > Depending on the timeline of the availability of anti-affinity feature
> from
> > YARN, Slider can also add support for such a feature but the desirable
> path
> > is to get this through YARN.
> >

> > On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 1:48 PM, hsy541@gmail.com <hs...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks guys, so my next question is how can you guarantee containers
> are
> > > allocated on different nodes?
> > >

> > > Best,
> > > Siyuan
> > >

> > > On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 1:02 PM, Sumit Mohanty <

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Is there a way to run application on certain subset of nodes?

Posted by "hsy541@gmail.com" <hs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sumit Mohanty <sm...@hortonworks.com>.
Thats another feature called anti-affinity, from YARN, to enable container
allocation on different nodes for same container type. This feature is not
yet available and in the mean time you can enforce it by asking more than
half of available resource (e.g. memory) per host.

Depending on the timeline of the availability of anti-affinity feature from
YARN, Slider can also add support for such a feature but the desirable path
is to get this through YARN.

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 1:48 PM, hsy541@gmail.com <hs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks guys, so my next question is how can you guarantee containers are
> allocated on different nodes?
>

> Best,
> Siyuan
>

> On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 1:02 PM, Sumit Mohanty <sm...@hortonworks.com>
> wrote:
>
> > +1 to Joe's explanation.
> >
> > Slider plans to use the "label" support enabled through YARN-796 and
> allow
> > creation of app instances against a label. This way you can ensure that
> the
> > app instance has containers allocated only on a subset of the nodes.
> >

> > On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 12:15 PM, Joseph Niemiec <
> jniemiec@hortonworks.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I'll let someone else chime in here but my assumption is this will
> > require
> > > YARN-796 and then have Slider expose the config somehow which from my
> > > exploration has yet to be done.
> > >
> > > Outside of Slider if you wrote your own AM you can control this today
> in
> > > your resourcerequest to the RM.
> > >
> > > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-796

> > the
> that

> > > --
> > > Hortonworks Certified Hadoop 2 Java Developer
> > >
> > >  Solutions Engineer, Hortonworks
> > > Phone:     Office (734)-288-3930   Mobile (734)-301-9812
> > > Email:      jniemiec@hortonworks.com
> > >
> > > Apache Hadoop YARN: Moving beyond MapReduce and Batch Processing with
> > > Apache Hadoop 2
> > > <
> > >

> http://www.amazon.com/Apache-Hadoop-YARN-Processing-Addison-Wesley/dp/0321934504
> > > >

> > > --
> > > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> entity
> reader
> > that
> > immediately
> > >

> > --
> > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> that
> immediately

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Is there a way to run application on certain subset of nodes?

Posted by Joseph Niemiec <jn...@hortonworks.com>.
>From a YARN perspective you don't, its up to the Application Master to do
so and as we have discussed that is going to require A) Native YARN App, or
B) YARN-796 with Slider integration. As your deploying a Slider app its
really just a YARN container and as such can be provisioned anywhere that
YARN has the resources to deploy this application.

What is the application your making the requires its services to only have
a single instance per node?

Posted by "hsy541@gmail.com" <hs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sumit Mohanty <sm...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 to Joe's explanation.

wrote:

> I'll let someone else chime in here but my assumption is this will require
> YARN-796 and then have Slider expose the config somehow which from my
> exploration has yet to be done.
>
> Outside of Slider if you wrote your own AM you can control this today in
> your resourcerequest to the RM.
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-796
>

> On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 2:37 PM, hsy541@gmail.com <hs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I'm new to slider and try to convert some application into yarn app. I
> > would like to ask is there a way to specify only a subset of nodes in the
> > cluster to run my app and can slider guarantee every container(of that
> > application) run on different nodes?
> >
> > Thank you very much!
> >
> > Best,
> > Siyuan
> >

> --
> Hortonworks Certified Hadoop 2 Java Developer
>
>  Solutions Engineer, Hortonworks
> Phone:     Office (734)-288-3930   Mobile (734)-301-9812
> Email:      jniemiec@hortonworks.com
>
> Apache Hadoop YARN: Moving beyond MapReduce and Batch Processing with
> Apache Hadoop 2
> <
> http://www.amazon.com/Apache-Hadoop-YARN-Processing-Addison-Wesley/dp/0321934504
> >

> --
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Is there a way to run application on certain subset of nodes?

Posted by Joseph Niemiec <jn...@hortonworks.com>.