Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Will Hartung <wi...@msoft.com> on 2002/12/04 21:03:56 UTC

Gargabe Collection

Hi All,

I have a hypothetical GC question for y'all.

With Servlets, when a Session is created that session has Time To Live
associated with it, typically 15 to 30 minutes.

My concern is given the generational nature of the Garbage Collector, it
would seem to me that sessions will implicitly get stuffed back into the the
long term pool of objects.

Has anyone had any real problems with that? Once long termed, they can only
be reclaimed with "expensive" full GCs versus the cheaper incremental GCs.
Also, any items referenced by the session gets dragged down deep into the
generational abyss with the session, so I would think this would have quite
an impact.

So, I was just curious what other experiences have been in regard to this.

Thanx!

Regards,

Will Hartung
(willh@msoft.com)