Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/16 18:35:09 UTC

[VOTE] Migrate the repo for the new JMS client work to use Git

Hello all,

I mentioned this briefly in a previous thread, and have decided just to
call a vote on the subject. I would like to migrate the repo for the new
JMS client work to use Git rather than Subversion.

This wont affect the rest of the Qpid codebase, though it could be viewed
as a test for any such move in future. Only the bits in the following
subtree are under consideration for migation at this time:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/qpid/jms/

I believe it would make things easier for those of us currently working on
it, and ease future usage of things like the Github integration we
can/should have Apache infra enable. For anyone still wanting to use a
Subversion client to check things out, there will still be an option there
as e.g. Github repos can also be checked out with svn clients, and Apache
mirror things to Github.

Please cast your votes. Even if you don't intend to work on the code in
question, please vote or at least contribute your thoughts to any
discussion that pops up. I will tally the votes after this point on Friday,
i.e. 72hrs.

Robbie

RE: [VOTE] Migrate the repo for the new JMS client work to use Git

Posted by "Adams, Cory" <co...@paypal.com.INVALID>.
+ 1 bizillion

Jack and Jimmy cast your votes.

> I mentioned this briefly in a previous thread, and have decided just
> to call a vote on the subject. I would like to migrate the repo for
> the new JMS client work to use Git rather than Subversion.
>
> This wont affect the rest of the Qpid codebase, though it could be
> viewed as a test for any such move in future. Only the bits in the
> following subtree are under consideration for migation at this time:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/qpid/jms/
>
> I believe it would make things easier for those of us currently
> working on it, and ease future usage of things like the Github
> integration we can/should have Apache infra enable. For anyone still
> wanting to use a Subversion client to check things out, there will
> still be an option there as e.g. Github repos can also be checked out with svn clients, and Apache mirror things to Github.
>
> Please cast your votes. Even if you don't intend to work on the code
> in question, please vote or at least contribute your thoughts to any
> discussion that pops up. I will tally the votes after this point on Friday, i.e. 72hrs.
>
> Robbie
B KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKCB  [  X  ܚX KK[XZ[
 \ \  ][  X  ܚX P\Y
 \X K ܙ B  ܈Y][ۘ[  [X[  K[XZ[
 \ \  Z[\Y
 \X K ܙ B B

RE: [VOTE] Migrate the repo for the new JMS client work to use Git

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.
+1

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 16 September 2014 20:53, Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2014-09-16 at 17:35 +0100, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I mentioned this briefly in a previous thread, and have decided just to
> > call a vote on the subject. I would like to migrate the repo for the new
> > JMS client work to use Git rather than Subversion.
> >
> > This wont affect the rest of the Qpid codebase, though it could be viewed
> > as a test for any such move in future. Only the bits in the following
> > subtree are under consideration for migation at this time:
> > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/qpid/jms/
> >
> > I believe it would make things easier for those of us currently working
> on
> > it, and ease future usage of things like the Github integration we
> > can/should have Apache infra enable. For anyone still wanting to use a
> > Subversion client to check things out, there will still be an option
> there
> > as e.g. Github repos can also be checked out with svn clients, and Apache
> > mirror things to Github.
>
> Before voting, I'd like more information:
> * Can you say in more detail what this migration entails?

Essentially, stop commits to the old repo, do the copy, allow commits to
the new repo. Commit emails to the mailing list would still be available,
but change format a little to account for the differing info of each
commit. The updates posted on JIRAs would also still be available. The web
interface would transition from viewvc to git-web, e.g:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=hadoop.git;a=summary

According to an infra post a similar JIRA requests from another project,
the core switchover process is roughly:

" I will begin the transition towards Git on Sunday, as that is the least
busy day for commits in general.
The following steps will take place:
1) The Subversion repository will be made read-only.
2) The Git repository will be set up and also be read-only.
3) You will verify that the contents of the Git repository matches the
Subversion contents.
4) Once acked, I will make the Git repo writeable and that should be it."

I believe the old repo contents are typically left in place, though given
the lack of widespread use or releases for this code it might not be
unreasonable to enquire about possibility of its complete removal to avoid
clutter.

> * What is the advantage of making git primary over using git-svn as many
> of us already do, to reasonable effect.

For me it would mainly be lots of little things adding up, including but
not necessarily limited to:
- Moving files retaining their history for inspection via gitk etc (I
happened to move all of the files in question just the other day, and thus
cant see any of their commit history via gitk anymore, annoying).
- Merge history tracking without having to fall back to using svn itself to
do the merges, which is painfully slow and almost nobody else here using
git-svn actually seems to bother doing, or screwing around with the
svn:mergeinfo properties manually.
- Merging etc between remote branches and multiple git repos without
worrying about git-svn-id entries in the logs potentially messing things up.
- Not having to clean up the empty directories left behind by all us
git-svn users.
- Not having the svn:ignore props be out of date because people only update
the .gitignore files.

I get the impression the Github integration, which I'd like us to use,
works a bit better with the Git repos as well. I'd certainly like to have a
more git-friendly workflow in place, which a number of other projects do
these days.

I'll admit that part of it is also just that I have been using git-svn for
perhaps 6 years now and would like to finally make the full conversion, as
many prominent projects at Apache have. The last time this idea was floated
(for the whole Qpid repo, not just the small part I'm suggesting now) I
believe I said I'd like other projects to prove out the process first, and
I think they now have.

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.
On Tue, 2014-09-16 at 17:35 +0100, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I mentioned this briefly in a previous thread, and have decided just to
> call a vote on the subject. I would like to migrate the repo for the new
> JMS client work to use Git rather than Subversion.
>
> This wont affect the rest of the Qpid codebase, though it could be viewed
> as a test for any such move in future. Only the bits in the following
> subtree are under consideration for migation at this time:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/qpid/jms/
>
> I believe it would make things easier for those of us currently working on
> it, and ease future usage of things like the Github integration we
> can/should have Apache infra enable. For anyone still wanting to use a
> Subversion client to check things out, there will still be an option there
> as e.g. Github repos can also be checked out with svn clients, and Apache
> mirror things to Github.

Before voting, I'd like more information:
* Can you say in more detail what this migration entails?
* What is the advantage of making git primary over using git-svn as many
of us already do, to reasonable effect.

Andrew

Re: [VOTE] Migrate the repo for the new JMS client work to use Git

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 18 September 2014 10:38, Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 09/18/2014 10:07 AM, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
>
>> On 17 September 2014 09:25, Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>>  On 09/16/2014 05:35 PM, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
>>>
>>>  Hello all,

>>> I'm in favour of those doing the work deciding what suits them best. Git
>>> is now well enough established that switching isn't in any real sense
>>> raising a barrier to new contributors.
>>>

>>>  Just to be certain, is your reply to be taken as +1 vote Gordon?
>>

> It's more in the category of 'contributing my thoughts' :-)

Thats actually what I thought, just wanted to confirm before the final
tally.

> I'm not going to be immediately involved, so I feel odd voting on it and
> since I don't think you are short of votes, I'm just saying explicitly that
> what you decide is alright with me. (as opposed to being silent which might
> be interpreted differently)

Ok. Additional votes are welcome though ;)

Re: [VOTE] Migrate the repo for the new JMS client work to use Git

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
On 09/18/2014 10:07 AM, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
> On 17 September 2014 09:25, Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> On 09/16/2014 05:35 PM, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I mentioned this briefly in a previous thread, and have decided just to
>>> call a vote on the subject. I would like to migrate the repo for the new
>>> JMS client work to use Git rather than Subversion.
>>>
>>> This wont affect the rest of the Qpid codebase, though it could be viewed
>>> as a test for any such move in future. Only the bits in the following
>>> subtree are under consideration for migation at this time:
>>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/qpid/jms/
>>>
>>> I believe it would make things easier for those of us currently working on
>>> it, and ease future usage of things like the Github integration we
>>> can/should have Apache infra enable. For anyone still wanting to use a
>>> Subversion client to check things out, there will still be an option there
>>> as e.g. Github repos can also be checked out with svn clients, and Apache
>>> mirror things to Github.
>>>
>>> Please cast your votes. Even if you don't intend to work on the code in
>>> question, please vote or at least contribute your thoughts to any
>>> discussion that pops up. I will tally the votes after this point on
>>> Friday,
>>> i.e. 72hrs.
>>>

>> I'm in favour of those doing the work deciding what suits them best. Git
>> is now well enough established that switching isn't in any real sense
>> raising a barrier to new contributors.
>>

> Just to be certain, is your reply to be taken as +1 vote Gordon?

It's more in the category of 'contributing my thoughts' :-) I'm not

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Andrew MacBean <an...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Ted Ross <tr...@redhat.com>.
+1

Posted by Justin Ross <jr...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
On 09/16/2014 12:35 PM, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I mentioned this briefly in a previous thread, and have decided just to
> call a vote on the subject. I would like to migrate the repo for the new
> JMS client work to use Git rather than Subversion.
>
> This wont affect the rest of the Qpid codebase, though it could be viewed
> as a test for any such move in future. Only the bits in the following
> subtree are under consideration for migation at this time:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/qpid/jms/
>
> I believe it would make things easier for those of us currently working on
> it, and ease future usage of things like the Github integration we
> can/should have Apache infra enable. For anyone still wanting to use a
> Subversion client to check things out, there will still be an option there
> as e.g. Github repos can also be checked out with svn clients, and Apache
> mirror things to Github.
>
> Please cast your votes. Even if you don't intend to work on the code in
> question, please vote or at least contribute your thoughts to any
> discussion that pops up. I will tally the votes after this point on Friday,
> i.e. 72hrs.
>
> Robbie

+1 from me

--
Tim Bish
Sr Software Engineer | RedHat Inc.

Re: [VOTE] Migrate the repo for the new JMS client work to use Git

Posted by Keith W <ke...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Chuck Rolke <cr...@redhat.com>.
+1

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
Adding my fairly obvious +1 explicitly, as I always forget to do it in the
initial mail.

Robbie