Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Bruce Tietjen <br...@imatsolutions.com> on 2017/10/13 23:24:26 UTC

Cassandra 3.11.0 compaction attempting impossible to complete compactions

We are new to Cassandra and have built a test cluster and loaded some data
into the cluster.

We are seeing compaction behavior that seems to violate what we read about
it's behavior.

Our cluster is configured with JBOD with 3 3.6T disks. Those disks
currently respectively have the following used/available space:
Disk          Used             Available
sdb1          1.8T                 1.7T
sdc1          1.8T                1.6T
sdd1           1.5T                2.0T

nodetool compactionstats -H reports that the compaction system is
attempting to do a compaction that has a total of 6.83T

The system hasn't had that much free space since sometime after we started
disk, so why would it ever attempt such a compaction?

What have we done wrong, or am I reading this wrong?

We have seen the same behavior on most of our 8 nodes.

Can anyone tell us what is happening or what we have done wrong?

Thanks

Re: Cassandra 3.11.0 compaction attempting impossible to complete compactions

Posted by kurt greaves <ku...@instaclustr.com>.
I believe that's the decompressed data size, so if your data is heavily
compressed it might be perfectly logical for you to be doing such large
compactions. Worth checking what SSTables are included in the compaction.
If you've been running STCS for a while you probably just have a few very
large SSTables being compacted together.​

Re: Cassandra 3.11.0 compaction attempting impossible to complete compactions

Posted by Bruce Tietjen <br...@imatsolutions.com>.
We started seeing this behavior before we even discovered that it was
possible to run manual compactions or cancel compactions by ID.

Posted by Jeff Jirsa <jj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bruce Tietjen <br...@imatsolutions.com>.
The default -- size tiered.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-12979 mentioned
checkAvailableDiskSpace -- does this function compute a total that includes
all volumes on the system, rather than just the ones available to Cassandra?

There is also a system volume has 2.3 T, so if it is adding all free space
on the system, then it could possibly reach a number that size.

But, it should make sure that there is a single volume with that amount of
free space, otherwise it is still impossible to complete the compaction.

Posted by Dikang Gu <di...@gmail.com>.

--
Dikang

Re: Cassandra 3.11.0 compaction attempting impossible to complete compactions

Posted by Bruce Tietjen <br...@imatsolutions.com>.

Posted by Jon Haddad <jo...@jonhaddad.com>.
Can you paste the output of cassandra compactionstats?

What you’re describing should not happen.  There’s a check that drops sstables out of a compaction task if there isn’t enough available disk space, see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-12979 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-12979> for some details.