Posted to dev@oodt.apache.org by "Verma, Rishi (317I)" <Ri...@jpl.nasa.gov> on 2011/09/27 22:32:13 UTC

When to use CAS-PGE

Hi All,

This is something I have been wondering myself, and perhaps other CAS-Workflow users have been wondering as well so I thought I'd put this question out there.

The question is: in which circumstances does it make sense to use PGEs for representing workflow tasks? In other words, which types of situations favor wrapping a workflow task as a PGETaskInstance versus using the generic WorkflowTaskInstance?

Based on my own experience with CAS-PGE, I feel it makes sense to go for using PGEs for the following types of situations:
[1] Extensive use of external programs is required for the execution of a workflow task
[2] Gathering products from, or ingesting products to the CAS-FileManager is needed for the execution of a workflow task

If there are other types of circumstances using PGEs is ideal for or if there are other opinions out there, it would be great to hear them!

Thanks,
Rishi

Re: When to use CAS-PGE

Posted by Sheryl John <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rishi,

I need a PGE for a following situation:

[3] When a task requires workflow context metadata and/or it generates
metadata that it adds to the workflow context metadata to be used later down
in the pipeline.

I'm not sure how to add PGE generated metadata to the Workflow context yet.

Thanks,

--
-Sheryl

Re: When to use CAS-PGE

Posted by Sheryl John <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rishi,

--
-Sheryl

Re: When to use CAS-PGE

Posted by "Verma, Rishi (317I)" <Ri...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Sheryl, Chris,

Thank you both for providing detailed suggestions/use-cases of when to use PGEs. This certainly has helped me, and hopefully will help others as well.

Thanks!
Rishi

Re: When to use CAS-PGE

Posted by "Verma, Rishi (317I)" <Ri...@jpl.nasa.gov>.