Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> on 2019/04/12 15:35:42 UTC

Clearing up notices in Fuseki combined jars.

JENA-1703
and part of JENA-1572

PR#555.

I've been through and cleaned up the way that NOTICE (meta-inf/notice)
gets into shaded jars for Fuseki. Please do check. Having read the
"legal discuss" JIRA project and also looked at what other Apache
projects do:

1/ Put items in NOTICE if the license requires inclusion in the
artifact.  This is mainly BSD and MIT licenses.

2/ Links to license files, rather than text copy is acceptable.

3/ Be minimal.

4/ Be recursive - there may be upstream requirements from dependencies
of dependencies.

What I find odd is that binary artifacts of BSD/MIT dependencies don't
put their own license/notice in their own jars.

Apache projects are do include a necessary notice file (and not license
- it is not necessary).

This is especially useful for Lucene which has an extensive NOTICE file.
The text is automatically included by the ApacheNoticeResourceTransformer.

     Andy