Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Paul English <ta...@speakeasy.org> on 2002/08/05 19:39:07 UTC

Log rotation

I set up apache 2.0.35 with a plain config file (no log rotation
directives), and my log files are getting
automatically rotated. It appears to be based on their size, since there
is no consistency in the dates. They are all getting rotated at approx
4.3-4.4 megabytes. Why is that? Can I stop it from happening?

I need to make my logs only rotate when I tell them to, that is - once per
month, but at the moment they are getting big enough that apache is
rotating them more often.

Here's the line I'm using to log:
CustomLog logs/access_log common

Any help appreciated,
Paul

Re: Log rotation

Posted by Lewis Watson <li...@visionsix.com>.
> I set up apache 2.0.35 with a plain config file (no log rotation
> directives), and my log files are getting
> automatically rotated. It appears to be based on their size, since there
> is no consistency in the dates. They are all getting rotated at approx
> 4.3-4.4 megabytes. Why is that? Can I stop it from happening?
>
> I need to make my logs only rotate when I tell them to, that is - once per
> month, but at the moment they are getting big enough that apache is
> rotating them more often.
>
> Here's the line I'm using to log:
> CustomLog logs/access_log common
>
> Any help appreciated,
> Paul

What's is in your  /etc/logrotate.d folder?

Lewis

Re: Log rotation

Posted by Paul English <ta...@speakeasy.org>.

> The only way I've seen this done is through the configuration file or
> through a cronjob.  So... if it isn't in your configuration file, then
> it must be elsewhere.  Check your cron entries to see if there's a
> program running that does that.  logrotate will do it if it configured
> that way... "man logrotate" will give you the info you need if this is
> going on.

Aah okay - Suse bit me. It turns out that there is a separate set of
crontabs in a separate directory for daily, hourly, monthly, etc and one
of those rotates logfiles. I figured that sort of thing would never rotate
my apache logs, since apache was installed in /usr/local, but it was
logging to /var/log/httpd which is where Suse looks for Apache logs.

Oh well - lesson learned.

Thanks,
Paul

Re: Log rotation