Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Thien <th...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/23 05:29:35 UTC

Re: [graphics] Artwork for cocoon.apache.org - next steps

> Do you expect us picking one design and you continue from there?
I did a bit of vote counting, #2 and #3 are sharing the same amount of
first choice votes but #3 is ahead overall (with second choice votes).
What I'll do next is to improve #3 a little and we are good to implement
it. Is that ok?
> Thien, the best option for this would be getting an ICLA
> (http://apache.org/licenses/#clas) from you. Could you please go
> through the text and if you haven't any questions send a signed ICLA
> to the Apache Software Foundation?
Ok, I will do that.

Cheers!
Thien

Re: [graphics] Artwork for cocoon.apache.org - next steps

Posted by Thien <th...@gmail.com>.
>    At the upper right corner you can find the name of the current
> documentation
>    unit.
I think you mean "upper left corner"
>  - we have a main menu containing "Cocoon Core", "Subprojects", Cocoon
> Blocks"
>    and "Maven plugins". This has to appear on each and every page as
> it is the
>    only way to jump between documentation units.
I just sent the template to Helma to show to everyone, looks like I need
to change it before that.

>  - The homepage currently consists of the "getting started - getting
> better -
>    getting involved" table, the news, an overview of the main versions
> and
>    a general explanation of what Cocoon actually is. These pieces of
>    information should find their space in the new homepage design too.
> IMO
>    the "Getting ..." table should be the eye-catcher number 1.
OK, I will do that.

I will do some changes and have Helma (thanks!!) to upload the html to
show everyone, once the design can be confirmed, how do I go about
patching it to the current design? Or should I just send the file to
someone who has the right to do just that?

Thien

Re: [graphics] Artwork for cocoon.apache.org - next steps

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
hepabolu wrote:
> Steven Noels said the following on 31/1/07 10:13:
>> On 31 Jan 2007, at 07:51, Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>>
>>> - Although I would like to have it, it is difficult for us to
>>>    maintain a "breadcrump navigation" like
>>>    Apache Cocoon > Cocoon Blocks > Cocoon Forms > [Introduction]
>>>    as we can't auto-generate them using existing (meta) data. As long
>>> as we
>>>    don't have a good idea of how to do it, we should avoid having one.
>>
>> What's the (Daisy?) issue here? It sure is possible to have
>> breadcrumbs + normal nav on one page - just a matter of processing the
>> same navtree twice.
>
> That's the caveat: if the page is not in the navtree, there is no
> breadcrumb to be generated.
>
> I'm working on it.

The problem is not Daisy specific but caused by the design of the export tool.
Each artifact, that we produce, can have its own documentation. "Own
documentation" means that it consists of one navigation tree document and
documents that are linked from there.

For example, let's assume that we want to have a breadcrump navigation like
ASF > Apache Cocoon > Cocoon Blocks > Cocoon Forms > [Introduction]. When the
"Introduction" document is exported, we have access to the document name
"Introduction" and we know that it is part of the "Cocoon Forms" documentation.
We also know that we are producing the "Apache Cocoon" documentation and that
Cocoon is a "ASF" project.

What we *don't* know is that "Cocoon Forms" belongs to "Cocoon Blocks". I have
to think more about how to pass the value "Cocoon Blocks" to the invoked Maven
Daisy plugin without having to set the value in each and every plugin
configuration.

[after reading my mail again before sending it] I think that having global
properties in cocoon/trunk/pom.xml with the values "Cocoon Blocks", "Cocoon
Core" etc. and using them in the Maven Daisy plugin configuration should be good
enough.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Re: [graphics] Artwork for cocoon.apache.org - next steps

Posted by hepabolu <he...@gmail.com>.
Steven Noels said the following on 31/1/07 10:13:
> On 31 Jan 2007, at 07:51, Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>
>> - Although I would like to have it, it is difficult for us to
>>    maintain a "breadcrump navigation" like
>>    Apache Cocoon > Cocoon Blocks > Cocoon Forms > [Introduction]
>>    as we can't auto-generate them using existing (meta) data. As long
>> as we
>>    don't have a good idea of how to do it, we should avoid having one.
>
> What's the (Daisy?) issue here? It sure is possible to have breadcrumbs
> + normal nav on one page - just a matter of processing the same navtree
> twice.

That's the caveat: if the page is not in the navtree, there is no
breadcrumb to be generated.

I'm working on it.

Bye, Helma

Re: [graphics] Artwork for cocoon.apache.org - next steps

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 31 Jan 2007, at 07:51, Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> - Although I would like to have it, it is difficult for us to
>    maintain a "breadcrump navigation" like
>    Apache Cocoon > Cocoon Blocks > Cocoon Forms > [Introduction]
>    as we can't auto-generate them using existing (meta) data. As
> long as we
>    don't have a good idea of how to do it, we should avoid having one.

What's the (Daisy?) issue here? It sure is possible to have
breadcrumbs + normal nav on one page - just a matter of processing
the same navtree twice.

</Steven>
Outerthought                              Open Source Java & XML
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: [graphics] Artwork for cocoon.apache.org - next steps

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Thien wrote:
>>
>>> Do you expect us picking one design and you continue from there?
>> I did a bit of vote counting, #2 and #3 are sharing the same amount of
>> first choice votes but #3 is ahead overall (with second choice votes).
>> What I'll do next is to improve #3 a little and we are good to
>> implement it. Is that ok?
>
> fine by me

Thien,

I'm not sure if anybody has pointed you yet to the new documentation which is in
some ways different to what you can find at http://cocoon.apache.org. Have a
look at http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/dev-docs/. Especially I want to draw your
attention to following things:

  - Each deployment unit has its own consistent documentation, e.g.
    http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/dev-docs/core-modules/core/2.2/ or
    http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/dev-docs/blocks/forms/1.0/489_1_1.html

    At the upper right corner you can find the name of the current documentation
    unit.

  - we have a main menu containing "Cocoon Core", "Subprojects", Cocoon Blocks"
    and "Maven plugins". This has to appear on each and every page as it is the
    only way to jump between documentation units.

  - The homepage currently consists of the "getting started - getting better -
    getting involved" table, the news, an overview of the main versions and
    a general explanation of what Cocoon actually is. These pieces of
    information should find their space in the new homepage design too. IMO
    the "Getting ..." table should be the eye-catcher number 1.

  - The left-hand navigation can be up to 4 levels deep.

  - Although I would like to have it, it is difficult for us to
    maintain a "breadcrump navigation" like
    Apache Cocoon > Cocoon Blocks > Cocoon Forms > [Introduction]
    as we can't auto-generate them using existing (meta) data. As long as we
    don't have a good idea of how to do it, we should avoid having one.

If you have questions, don't hesistate to ask!

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Re: [graphics] Artwork for cocoon.apache.org - next steps

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Thien wrote:

>> Do you expect us picking one design and you continue from there?
> I did a bit of vote counting, #2 and #3 are sharing the same amount of
> first choice votes but #3 is ahead overall (with second choice votes).
> What I'll do next is to improve #3 a little and we are good to implement
> it. Is that ok?

fine by me

>> Thien, the best option for this would be getting an ICLA
>> (http://apache.org/licenses/#clas) from you. Could you please go
>> through the text and if you haven't any questions send a signed ICLA
>> to the Apache Software Foundation?
> Ok, I will do that.

thanks!

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc