Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Adam Heinz <AH...@exstream.com> on 2004/06/17 23:32:05 UTC

RE: Xerces Mac Users Feedback Requested

> The LCP transcoder is now completely generic. It is implemented
> strictly in terms of the virtual transcoder interface. As such,
> any XMLTranscoder can be passed in as the transcoder to fullfill
> the LCP transcoding

Looking at the documentation for XMLLCPTranscoder and
XMLTranscoder, and at MacOSUnicodeConverter.cpp/hpp, I don't see
any relationship between XMLLCPTranscoder and XMLTranscoder.
Also, why are their interfaces so different?

Adam Heinz
Senior Software Developer
Exstream Software

Re: Xerces Mac Users Feedback Requested

Posted by James Berry <ja...@jberry.us>.
On Jun 17, 2004, at 2:32 PM, Adam Heinz wrote:

>> The LCP transcoder is now completely generic. It is implemented
>> strictly in terms of the virtual transcoder interface. As such,
>> any XMLTranscoder can be passed in as the transcoder to fullfill
>> the LCP transcoding
>
> Looking at the documentation for XMLLCPTranscoder and
> XMLTranscoder, and at MacOSUnicodeConverter.cpp/hpp, I don't see
> any relationship between XMLLCPTranscoder and XMLTranscoder.
> Also, why are their interfaces so different?

Hi Adam,

I'll attempt to answer your questions, in reverse order:

Why are the interfaces different?

	This is history long before my time (which seems to be going back
years now),
	but I believe the LCP transcoder interface
	was built first, then a more generic transcoder interface was needed.
So the
	LCP transcoder interface is older, and less generic.

There is no relationship between the classes?

	In all of the transcoders except for the Mac, I believe this is true.
When I last
	rewrote the Mac transcoder, I said "this is stupid", and decided to
implement
	the LCP transcoder by using the XMLTranscoder interface. You can see
this
	being done in MacOSUnicodeConverter::makeNewLCPTranscoder.

	I believe the actual Mac LCP transcoder is completely independent of
any Mac-isms,
	and could indeed be used as a generic LCP transcoder for all the
platforms,
	given an appropriate XMLTranscoder was passed into it. It is
essentially an
	adapter that implements the LCP interface in terms of the more generic
	XMLTranscoder interface.

Does that help to clear things up? Or simply confuse the issue?

James.