Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at> on 2005/05/17 10:22:05 UTC

Re: YAAFI/Fortress

Hi Peter,

my comments are below

Peter Courcoux wrote:

> Siegfried,
>
> I had a quick look at YAAFI and perused the excalibur lists over the
> weekend.
>
> It looks like Fortress is still being actively developed, is used
> quite extensively and fits the style of component management required
> by turbine ( ie not wiring comoponents together but making them
> available in a similar manner to ECM).

Same for YAAFI ...

> I also note that Fortress has cyclic dependency checking, the lack of
> which in ECM, was a worry to me in a recent project where I had a
> number of junior developers writing and using ECM managed components.

This is a design problem and not a container problem ... :-) .... and
YAAFI is actually unable to run services with cyclic dependencies.

> It doesn't look to me like YAAFI has cyclic dependency checking and I
> think it might be worth looking at how we could use Fortress and what
> it would take to convert the fulcrum services to be usable in
> Fortress. It is more work but I'm thinking that biting the bullet now
> would have many advantages in the future.

We already took a few bullets - the Turbine services were converted to
ECM and then to Merlin thereby effectively stalling the Fulcrum project.
I don't have a problem migrating the existing codebase to use Fortress
but this involves the following steps

1) changing the access to the Avalon context for all services - not a
big deal and YAAFI supports setting up the correct Avalon context based
on the "componentFlavour"
2) writing role configuration files but I found nowhere a spec saying
how to write such a file for Fortress - and I need to write a parser for it
3) sorting out the dependencies and adding them to Fulcrum/Turbine -
Fortress requires around 20 JARs whereas YAAFI is happy with just two of
them.

> What do you think?

+) making Fulcrum components compatible to Fortress is a good idea
+) using Fortress as default Avalon container is currently not on my
list - but again this is my strictly personal opinion.

Cheers,

Siegfried Goeschl

Re: YAAFI/Fortress

Posted by Peter Courcoux <pe...@courcoux.biz>.
Hi Siegfried,

Comments below :

Siegfried Goeschl wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> my comments are below
>
> Peter Courcoux wrote:
>
>> Siegfried,
>>
>> I had a quick look at YAAFI and perused the excalibur lists over the
>> weekend.
>>
>> It looks like Fortress is still being actively developed, is used
>> quite extensively and fits the style of component management required
>> by turbine ( ie not wiring comoponents together but making them
>> available in a similar manner to ECM).
>

> Same for YAAFI ...

Agreed.

>> I also note that Fortress has cyclic dependency checking, the lack of
>> which in ECM, was a worry to me in a recent project where I had a
>> number of junior developers writing and using ECM managed components.
>

> This is a design problem and not a container problem ... :-) .... and
> YAAFI is actually unable to run services with cyclic dependencies.

Mmm. but it would be nice to know, sooner rather than later.

>> It doesn't look to me like YAAFI has cyclic dependency checking and I
>> think it might be worth looking at how we could use Fortress and what
>> it would take to convert the fulcrum services to be usable in
>> Fortress. It is more work but I'm thinking that biting the bullet now
>> would have many advantages in the future.
>

> We already took a few bullets - the Turbine services were converted to
> ECM and then to Merlin thereby effectively stalling the Fulcrum
> project. I don't have a problem migrating the existing codebase to use
> Fortress but this involves the following steps

> 1) changing the access to the Avalon context for all services - not a
> big deal and YAAFI supports setting up the correct Avalon context
> based on the "componentFlavour"

> 2) writing role configuration files but I found nowhere a spec saying
> how to write such a file for Fortress - and I need to write a parser
> for it
> 3) sorting out the dependencies and adding them to Fulcrum/Turbine -
> Fortress requires around 20 JARs whereas YAAFI is happy with just two
> of them.

Good reasons for sticking with YAAFI :-)

>> What do you think?
>

> +) making Fulcrum components compatible to Fortress is a good idea
> +) using Fortress as default Avalon container is currently not on my
> list - but again this is my strictly personal opinion.

Seeing as you are currently putting more work in on this, I think your
personal opinion counts.

There are other things I don't like about Fortress. For example the use
of javadoc tags, the need for an additional ant task and .xinfo files.
On balance I'm happy to give YAAFI a +1 and see how it goes. I've just
started a new Turbine project so I'll be using and testing it.

Regards,

Peter

Re: YAAFI/Fortress

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at>.
Hi Eric,

I'm currently not convinced about the POJO approach but I did not do any
work with Pico/Nano, Hivemind or Spring ... :-)

The trouble with all of those discussions is

+) that choosing a IOC container is a matter of personal taste
+) the complexity does not disappear - it is either within the
application code or the configuration file
+) that it adds no value to existing services and for the caller of the
service, e.g. for a new and moderate complex J2EE project I would use
Spring not because it uses a cool IOC framework with POJOs but for
having a bunch of functionality solving a lot of my problems. And if I
need a couple of Fulcrum services I would just write a YAAFI component
for Spring.

Having said that I'm leaning towards embedding IOC containers within IOC
containers as long as it is transparent to the caller of the service -
which is unfortunately not the case for Turbine. It should be no problem
to embed YAAFI into Hivemind or Spring ....

Cheers,

Siegfried Goeschl

Re: YAAFI/Fortress

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at>.
Hi Eric,

Re: YAAFI/Fortress

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@www.opensourceconnections.com>.

Re: YAAFI/Fortress

Posted by Peter Courcoux <pe...@courcoux.biz>.
Hi Siegfried,

Comments below :

Siegfried Goeschl wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> my comments are below
>
> Peter Courcoux wrote:
>
>> Siegfried,
>>
>> I had a quick look at YAAFI and perused the excalibur lists over the
>> weekend.
>>
>> It looks like Fortress is still being actively developed, is used
>> quite extensively and fits the style of component management required
>> by turbine ( ie not wiring comoponents together but making them
>> available in a similar manner to ECM).
>

> Same for YAAFI ...

Agreed.

Re: YAAFI/Fortress

Posted by Leandro Rodrigo Saad Cruz <le...@ibnetwork.com.br>.
On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 10:22 +0200, Siegfried Goeschl wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> my comments are below
>
> Peter Courcoux wrote:
>
> > Siegfried,
> >
> > I had a quick look at YAAFI and perused the excalibur lists over the
> > weekend.
> >
> > It looks like Fortress is still being actively developed, is used
> > quite extensively and fits the style of component management required
> > by turbine ( ie not wiring comoponents together but making them
> > available in a similar manner to ECM).
>
> Same for YAAFI ...
>
> > I also note that Fortress has cyclic dependency checking, the lack of
> > which in ECM, was a worry to me in a recent project where I had a
> > number of junior developers writing and using ECM managed components.
>
> This is a design problem and not a container problem ... :-) .... and
> YAAFI is actually unable to run services with cyclic dependencies.

Agreed, This problem gets worse if you have different release cycles
form those components.

> > It doesn't look to me like YAAFI has cyclic dependency checking and I
> > think it might be worth looking at how we could use Fortress and what
> > it would take to convert the fulcrum services to be usable in
> > Fortress. It is more work but I'm thinking that biting the bullet now
> > would have many advantages in the future.
>
> We already took a few bullets - the Turbine services were converted to
> ECM and then to Merlin thereby effectively stalling the Fulcrum project.
> I don't have a problem migrating the existing codebase to use Fortress
> but this involves the following steps

How many times someone will have to do this again and again ?
I'm not really sure if this is working like this right now. But why
don't make Turbine container (avalon) agnostic ?

> 1) changing the access to the Avalon context for all services - not a
> big deal and YAAFI supports setting up the correct Avalon context based
> on the "componentFlavour"
> 2) writing role configuration files but I found nowhere a spec saying
> how to write such a file for Fortress - and I need to write a parser for it

It's really easy. I have all xingu.sf.net components using Fortress.

> 3) sorting out the dependencies and adding them to Fulcrum/Turbine -
> Fortress requires around 20 JARs whereas YAAFI is happy with just two of
> them.
>

> > What do you think?
>
> +) making Fulcrum components compatible to Fortress is a good idea

+1

> +) using Fortress as default Avalon container is currently not on my
> list - but again this is my strictly personal opinion.

+1

> Cheers,
>
> Siegfried Goeschl
>

> > Regards,
> >
> > Peter

Cheers !

Re: YAAFI/Fortress

Posted by Leandro Rodrigo Saad Cruz <le...@ibnetwork.com.br>.
On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 10:22 +0200, Siegfried Goeschl wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> my comments are below
>
> Peter Courcoux wrote:
>
> > Siegfried,
> >
> > I had a quick look at YAAFI and perused the excalibur lists over the
> > weekend.
> >
> > It looks like Fortress is still being actively developed, is used
> > quite extensively and fits the style of component management required
> > by turbine ( ie not wiring comoponents together but making them
> > available in a similar manner to ECM).
>
> Same for YAAFI ...
>
> > I also note that Fortress has cyclic dependency checking, the lack of
> > which in ECM, was a worry to me in a recent project where I had a
> > number of junior developers writing and using ECM managed components.
>
> This is a design problem and not a container problem ... :-) .... and
> YAAFI is actually unable to run services with cyclic dependencies.

Agreed, This problem gets worse if you have different release cycles
form those components.

> > It doesn't look to me like YAAFI has cyclic dependency checking and I
> > think it might be worth looking at how we could use Fortress and what
> > it would take to convert the fulcrum services to be usable in
> > Fortress. It is more work but I'm thinking that biting the bullet now
> > would have many advantages in the future.
>
> We already took a few bullets - the Turbine services were converted to
> ECM and then to Merlin thereby effectively stalling the Fulcrum project.
> I don't have a problem migrating the existing codebase to use Fortress
> but this involves the following steps

How many times someone will have to do this again and again ?
I'm not really sure if this is working like this right now. But why
don't make Turbine container (avalon) agnostic ?

> 1) changing the access to the Avalon context for all services - not a
> big deal and YAAFI supports setting up the correct Avalon context based
> on the "componentFlavour"
> 2) writing role configuration files but I found nowhere a spec saying
> how to write such a file for Fortress - and I need to write a parser for it

It's really easy. I have all xingu.sf.net components using Fortress.

> 3) sorting out the dependencies and adding them to Fulcrum/Turbine -
> Fortress requires around 20 JARs whereas YAAFI is happy with just two of
> them.
>

> > What do you think?
>
> +) making Fulcrum components compatible to Fortress is a good idea

+1

> +) using Fortress as default Avalon container is currently not on my
> list - but again this is my strictly personal opinion.

+1

> Cheers,
>
> Siegfried Goeschl
>

> > Regards,
> >
> > Peter

Cheers !

Re: YAAFI/Fortress

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@www.opensourceconnections.com>.

Re: YAAFI/Fortress

Posted by Leandro Rodrigo Saad Cruz <le...@ibnetwork.com.br>.
On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 10:22 +0200, Siegfried Goeschl wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> my comments are below
>
> Peter Courcoux wrote:
>
> > Siegfried,
> >
> > I had a quick look at YAAFI and perused the excalibur lists over the
> > weekend.
> >
> > It looks like Fortress is still being actively developed, is used
> > quite extensively and fits the style of component management required
> > by turbine ( ie not wiring comoponents together but making them
> > available in a similar manner to ECM).
>
> Same for YAAFI ...
>
> > I also note that Fortress has cyclic dependency checking, the lack of
> > which in ECM, was a worry to me in a recent project where I had a
> > number of junior developers writing and using ECM managed components.
>
> This is a design problem and not a container problem ... :-) .... and
> YAAFI is actually unable to run services with cyclic dependencies.

Agreed, This problem gets worse if you have different release cycles
form those components.

> > It doesn't look to me like YAAFI has cyclic dependency checking and I
> > think it might be worth looking at how we could use Fortress and what
> > it would take to convert the fulcrum services to be usable in
> > Fortress. It is more work but I'm thinking that biting the bullet now
> > would have many advantages in the future.
>
> We already took a few bullets - the Turbine services were converted to
> ECM and then to Merlin thereby effectively stalling the Fulcrum project.
> I don't have a problem migrating the existing codebase to use Fortress
> but this involves the following steps

How many times someone will have to do this again and again ?
I'm not really sure if this is working like this right now. But why
don't make Turbine container (avalon) agnostic ?

> 1) changing the access to the Avalon context for all services - not a
> big deal and YAAFI supports setting up the correct Avalon context based
> on the "componentFlavour"
> 2) writing role configuration files but I found nowhere a spec saying
> how to write such a file for Fortress - and I need to write a parser for it

It's really easy. I have all xingu.sf.net components using Fortress.

> 3) sorting out the dependencies and adding them to Fulcrum/Turbine -
> Fortress requires around 20 JARs whereas YAAFI is happy with just two of
> them.
>

> > What do you think?
>
> +) making Fulcrum components compatible to Fortress is a good idea

+1

> +) using Fortress as default Avalon container is currently not on my
> list - but again this is my strictly personal opinion.

+1

> Cheers,
>
> Siegfried Goeschl
>

> > Regards,
> >
> > Peter

Cheers !

Re: YAAFI/Fortress

Posted by Peter Courcoux <pe...@courcoux.biz>.
Hi Siegfried,

Comments below :

Siegfried Goeschl wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> my comments are below
>
> Peter Courcoux wrote:
>
>> Siegfried,
>>
>> I had a quick look at YAAFI and perused the excalibur lists over the
>> weekend.
>>
>> It looks like Fortress is still being actively developed, is used
>> quite extensively and fits the style of component management required
>> by turbine ( ie not wiring comoponents together but making them
>> available in a similar manner to ECM).
>

> Same for YAAFI ...

Agreed.

Re: YAAFI/Fortress