Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by James M Snell <ja...@us.ibm.com> on 2002/10/24 02:10:23 UTC

Axis as a JNDI Resource

Another issue relating to the Async stuff....

The Axis async implementation is going to require us to do some thread
management.  Within J2EE environments, doing such thread management from
within J2EE containers is not allowed.  As far as I know, once the async
stuff is done, the current method of creating and using the Axis engine
directly within the Servlet will go against the J2EE rules.  The solution
is to do the thread management outside of the Web/J2EE container.
Basically this means running Axis as an application server service, much
like one would run a JMS or JDBC implementation.  The Axis engine would be
exposed as a JNDI Resource just like a JDBC connection, a JMS Queue, etc
etc.

  AxisEngine engine = (AxisEngine)ctx.lookup("AxisEngine");

Doing this would have a significant impact on how the Axis Engine is
configured (there would potentially be one config.wsdd per application
server rather than one config.wsdd per web application.  It would also
impact how services are deployed, as classes would have to be visible on
an application server level rather than just on a web application level.
Lots of issues to work out, but I think that overall, it would be helpful
to at least have this as a deployment option.

So... my question is: is this something we want to discuss now? Or wait
until after the async stuff is done?

- James Snell
     IBM Emerging Technologies
     jasnell@us.ibm.com
     (559) 587-1233 (office)
     (700) 544-9035 (t/l)
     Programming Web Services With SOAP
         O'Reilly & Associates, ISBN 0596000952

     Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous.
     Do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your
     God will be with you whereever you go.    - Joshua 1:9

Re: Axis as a JNDI Resource

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
Do all the servlet engines we want to support have JNDI? If not, what to do?

Also, J2ee says no thread stuff inside the context of an EJB, not elsewhere
in the system.

One option is we make is a JMX managed object and go through JMX to find it.