Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Scott Sauyet <li...@sauyet.com> on 2005/02/25 15:23:29 UTC

Service automatically shuts down on Windows Server 2003

I apologize for not doing as much homework as usual before posting a
question.  Google turned up nothing helpful, the mailing list archive
search isn't working right now, and we're (of course) in a hurry.

We've had Tomcat 5.0.19 working on a number of Windows machines for a
while, running on Win2K and WinXP under j2sdk1.4.2_04  Yesterday we had
to install it on a Windows Server 2003 machine, and it's not working as
a service.  If we run it from the shell, it works fine, but when we try
to start it as a service, it starts up and shuts right back down with a
Windows message that some services don't stay running if they have no
work to do.

Is there something obvious I should be doing?  Or something less than
obvious?  Even something obscure?  :-)  I've never had any Tomcat
problems; it's a great tool that has always just worked for me.  But
that means I don't really even know where to begin looking to solve this.

Are others successfully running Tomcat on Windows Server 2003?

Thanks,

   -- Scott Sauyet

Re: Service automatically shuts down on Windows Server 2003

Posted by Scott Sauyet <li...@sauyet.com>.
Mladen Turk wrote:
> Scott Sauyet wrote:
>>     "The Apache Tomcat service on Local Computer started and then
>>     stopped.  Some services stop automatically if they have no work
>>     to do, for example, the Performace Logs and Alerts service."
>>
>> I'm not finding anything in the Tomcat logs, which makes me suspect
>> that Tomcat is not in fact actually starting, but I don't know how to
>> tell for sure.
>>

> Yes, the Tomcat was not started.
> There can be two reasons.
> Java is wrongly installed (missing jre from Registry?)
> Account used for running Tomcat as service has no access
> to Tomcat folder.

Java seems to be okay.  I'm going to have some network folks check out
the latter.  Thanks for your help.

   -- Scott

Re: Service automatically shuts down on Windows Server 2003

Posted by Mladen Turk <ml...@jboss.com>.
Scott Sauyet wrote:
> Jason Bainbridge wrote:
>
>     "The Apache Tomcat service on Local Computer started and then
>     stopped.  Some services stop automatically if they have no work
>     to do, for example, the Performace Logs and Alerts service."
>
> I'm not finding anything in the Tomcat logs, which makes me suspect that
> Tomcat is not in fact actually starting, but I don't know how to tell
> for sure.

Yes, the Tomcat was not started.
There can be two reasons.
Java is wrongly installed (missing jre from Registry?)
Account used for running Tomcat as service has no access
to Tomcat folder.

I suspect it's the later.

Mladen.

Re: Service automatically shuts down on Windows Server 2003

Posted by Scott Sauyet <li...@sauyet.com>.
Jason Bainbridge wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 09:23:29 -0500, Scott Sauyet <li...@sauyet.com> wrote:
>>We've had Tomcat 5.0.19 working on a number of Windows machines for a
>>while, running on Win2K and WinXP under j2sdk1.4.2_04  Yesterday we had
>>to install it on a Windows Server 2003 machine, and it's not working as
>>a service.  If we run it from the shell, it works fine, but when we try
>>to start it as a service, it starts up and shuts right back down with a
>>Windows message that some services don't stay running if they have no
>>work to do.
>
> That usually happens when there is something wrong with the directory
> paths, there could be a space somewhere causing problems or something
> similar so have a look at the properties of the service and se eif
> it's pointing to the right spot.

Thanks, but that doesn't seem to be it.   The service is looking at

     "C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat
5.0\bin\tomcat.exe //RS//Tomcat5"

which is correct.  I don't know what the parameter "//RS//Tomcat5" is
for but it matches what's working on other machines.  Also the JAVA_HOME
and CATALINA_HOME enviroment variables are correct.  The actual text of
the error message is

     "The Apache Tomcat service on Local Computer started and then
     stopped.  Some services stop automatically if they have no work
     to do, for example, the Performace Logs and Alerts service."

I'm not finding anything in the Tomcat logs, which makes me suspect that
Tomcat is not in fact actually starting, but I don't know how to tell
for sure.

Cheers,

   -- Scott

Re: Service automatically shuts down on Windows Server 2003

Posted by Jason Bainbridge <jb...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 09:23:29 -0500, Scott Sauyet <li...@sauyet.com> wrote:
> I apologize for not doing as much homework as usual before posting a
> question.  Google turned up nothing helpful, the mailing list archive
> search isn't working right now, and we're (of course) in a hurry.
>
> We've had Tomcat 5.0.19 working on a number of Windows machines for a
> while, running on Win2K and WinXP under j2sdk1.4.2_04  Yesterday we had
> to install it on a Windows Server 2003 machine, and it's not working as
> a service.  If we run it from the shell, it works fine, but when we try
> to start it as a service, it starts up and shuts right back down with a
> Windows message that some services don't stay running if they have no
> work to do.
>
> Is there something obvious I should be doing?  Or something less than
> obvious?  Even something obscure?  :-)  I've never had any Tomcat
> problems; it's a great tool that has always just worked for me.  But
> that means I don't really even know where to begin looking to solve this.

That usually happens when there is something wrong with the directory
paths, there could be a space somewhere causing problems or something
similar so have a look at the properties of the service and se eif
it's pointing to the right spot.

Jason Bainbridge
http://kde.org - webmaster@kde.org
Personal Site - http://jasonbainbridge.com