Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com> on 2005/08/06 15:27:42 UTC

Re: Does J2EE 1.5/5.0 include JBI?

Geir,

Sorry to bring this up again, i just got a bit of breathing room and
want to put this to bed. (I don't want anyone to tell me later "why
did you not speak up earlier?")

Can we please "plan" in public? I don't see any emails in the pmc@ or
on dev@ proposing that we do this formally or "planning" about doing
this. Could we talk about it here? Could you please drive the public
decision making process?. My concern is that there not even a single
line of code in Geronimo (or Apache for that matter) that implements
JBI and we are trying to do this without any input at all from anyone.
I did see the thread where you asked about TCK for JBI
(http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=geronimo-dev&m=112118579826582&w=2)
and James' reply that it is an optional module
(http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=geronimo-dev&m=112118724601223&w=2).
So i don't really see why we should be going out of the way to do
this. If we do, should we start working with everyone else and start
verifying them as well? (For example, ebXMLrr in sf.net -
http://ebxmlrr.sourceforge.net/ has JAXR stuff). At the least we
should have a policy about when we go out of the way to certify
something that is not in the core. (for example ActiveMQ is fine
because J2EE TCK tests it and we don't have to get another TCK for
it).

thanks,
dims

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On Aug 6, 2005, at 9:27 AM, Davanum Srinivas wrote:

> Geir,
>
> Sorry to bring this up again, i just got a bit of breathing room and
> want to put this to bed. (I don't want anyone to tell me later "why
> did you not speak up earlier?")
>
> Can we please "plan" in public?

Yes Dims, we plan in public.  I think you're firing first and then
aiming - any conversations I've had about this have been here, and I
think that you noted them in the links below.

As JCP rep, I get TCKs for use on Apache projects.  So if someone
wants to certify an implementation of JBI on Geronimo that we will
distribute, we can get the TCK for that.

> I don't see any emails in the pmc@ or
> on dev@ proposing that we do this formally or "planning" about doing
> this. Could we talk about it here? Could you please drive the public
> decision making process?. My concern is that there not even a single
> line of code in Geronimo (or Apache for that matter) that implements
> JBI and we are trying to do this without any input at all from anyone.

Well, we don't implement EJB or JMS either :)

> I did see the thread where you asked about TCK for JBI
> (http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=geronimo-dev&m=112118579826582&w=2)
> and James' reply that it is an optional module
> (http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=geronimo-dev&m=112118724601223&w=2).
> So i don't really see why we should be going out of the way to do
> this. If we do, should we start working with everyone else and start
> verifying them as well? (For example, ebXMLrr in sf.net -
> http://ebxmlrr.sourceforge.net/ has JAXR stuff). At the least we
> should have a policy about when we go out of the way to certify
> something that is not in the core. (for example ActiveMQ is fine
> because J2EE TCK tests it and we don't have to get another TCK for
> it).

If we produce a configuration for the server that is an
implementation of a JCP specification, we are required to test it
with the TCK.   (J2EE 1.4 is an example)

Therefore, if the Apache Geronimo project decides to distribute a
configuration that implements JBI, we'll test it. So far, I don't see
such a configuration, but figured it was just a matter of time given
the interest shown in the thread you quoted...

To be clear, we are not a source of TCKs for other projects.  They
are used only for the Apache project intended, and recipients are
legally bound to do that as to the terms of the NDA. See point #3 :

http://people.apache.org/~geirm/ApacheNDA.pdf

geir

geirm@apache.org