Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Wendy Smoak <We...@asu.edu> on 2003/03/04 22:55:24 UTC

[OT] Ancient Computing (was RE: Stress Testing Struts apps)

Brandon wrote:
> I remember back in the day when i was programming my own version of pong
on
> my Atari 2600 using the "Game Programmer" cartridge.

I used to type in hundreds of lines of BASIC (I think...) code from
magazines into my Timex Sinclair 1000, only to lose it all if someone bumped
the table and moved the wires ever so slightly.

Then I graduated to my Commodore 64, and repeated the process, typing in
hundreds of lines of (what I now know is) hexadecimal numbers.  But first
you had to type in the program for what was basically a hex editor, which
would calculate the checksum and match it against the last two digits on
each line of the code in the magazine saving you hours of double checking
every character to see where you messed up.  But now, now I could save it
all on my cassete tape drive!  (And later, a 5 1/4" floppy disk drive.)

--
Wendy Smoak
Applications Systems Analyst, Sr.