Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Evgeniy Strokin <ev...@yahoo.com> on 2007/08/22 17:14:56 UTC

HTML generated by macros is not good

Hello,..
I'm working on templates for Roller and noticed several very unfortunate things:
HTML generated by any macros is not standard.
For example calendar contains this:
border="0" cellspacing="0">Last two attributes
border="0" cellspacing="0"
just doesn't allow use some CSS properties.
I found such things in most HTML code generated by macros.
As an example of nearly perfect generated HTML code we can find from WordPress.
Of course this is very hard to change existing macros to generate nice HTML which could be easily styled by CSS. I think the only solution is to deprecate existing macroses and write new which could be used in future templates and they will generate nice HTML.

Thank you
Gene

Re: HTML generated by macros is not good

Posted by Sam Neth <sa...@neth.com>.
+1

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
On 8/22/07, Evgeniy Strokin <ev...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm working on templates for Roller and noticed several very unfortunate things:
> HTML generated by any macros is not standard.
> For example calendar contains this:
> border="0" cellspacing="0">Last two attributes
> border="0" cellspacing="0"
> just doesn't allow use some CSS properties.
> I found such things in most HTML code generated by macros.
> As an example of nearly perfect generated HTML code we can find from WordPress.
> Of course this is very hard to change existing macros to generate nice HTML which could be easily styled by CSS. I think the only solution is to deprecate existing macroses and write new which could be used in future templates and they will generate nice HTML.

You don't think it is possible to improve the generated HTML? And make
better use of CSS classes without breaking existing templates?

If we can't do that, then perhaps we should adopt a standard set of
CSS styles, perhaps those from Wordpress or some popular CMS like
Drupal.

- Dave