You are viewing a plain text version of this content. The canonical link for it is here.
Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Neal Richardson <ne...@gmail.com> on 2020/01/15 23:57:37 UTC

0.16 release preparation

Hi all,
As a reminder, we're trying to close out work on 0.16 this week so that we
can release next week. As you can see on
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ARROW/Arrow+0.16.0+Release,
we're making good progress. That said, there are still a decent number of
open/in-progress issues tagged for 0.16, probably more than can
realistically land this week.

I'd encourage everyone to have a look at that board and do a few things:

* For tickets that you're "assigned" to (i.e. you're working on them), if
you're not expecting to merge them this week, please push the fixVersion
back to 1.0.0 so they're out of scope. If they land in time, great, but
let's move the nonessential tasks out of the way.
* For tickets that you reported and haven't been picked up, please review
whether you think you can do them this week (or know someone who can), and
bump to 1.0 those that aren't going to happen.
* Otherwise review the areas of the project that you work on and make sure
things are release-ready (including documentation)

Also, as I mentioned yesterday, I've started a draft release announcement
here: https://github.com/apache/arrow-site/pull/41. Please fill in where
you can.

Looking forward to a smooth release. Thanks to everyone for pitching in.

Neal

Re: 0.16 release preparation

Posted by Krisztián Szűcs <sz...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Sun, Jan 26, 2020 at 10:08 PM Sutou Kouhei <ko...@clear-code.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/6282 isn't a
> blocker. It just a nice-to-have feature. So we can cut
> 0.16.0-rc0 right now without the PR. If there are any
> problems in the PR, I think that we should not wait for
> it. If we can merge it as-is, I want us to merge the PR and
> cut 0.16.0-rc0.
>
Merged it, the source release is uploaded.

Currently I'm waiting for the binary builds to finish at:
https://github.com/ursa-labs/crossbow/branches/all?query=build-725

Once they pass I'll upload the binaries and send out the VOTE.

Thanks, Krisztian

>
> FYI:
>
> It adds the followings:
>
>   * ARM users can install binaries by apt/yum/dnf
>     * There is an issue for ARM packages. I'll share it by
>       another thread.
>   * All Debian/Ubuntu/Yum users can install old versions
>     * https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARROW-6893
>
> They aren't provided in 0.15. So they are new features.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> kou
>
> In <CA...@mail.gmail.com>
>   "Re: 0.16 release preparation" on Sun, 26 Jan 2020 19:55:40 +0100,
>   Krisztián Szűcs <sz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've just merged the last PR for 0.16 release. We have another
> > packaging related improvement under [1], so theoretically we're
> > good to go once that PR is merged. @Kou what do you think?
> >
> > [1]: https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/6282
> >
> >
> > On Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 3:00 AM Neal Richardson <
> neal.p.richardson@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi folks,
> >> Looks like we're still a couple of days away from closing out 0.16. The
> >> wiki shows 24 issues still open/in-progress, 4 of which are "blockers".
> >> These blockers are:
> >>
> >> * ARROW-6801 [Rust] Arrow source release tarball is missing benchmarks
> >> (breaks the release script)
> >> * ARROW-7596 [Python] Only apply zero-copy DataFrame block optimizations
> >> when split_blocks=True
> >> * ARROW-7603 [CI][Crossbow] Nightly centos 8 job fails (LLVM 8 is
> installed
> >> but 7 is required)
> >> * ARROW-7518 [Python] Use PYARROW_WITH_HDFS when building wheels, conda
> >> packages (in progress)
> >>
> >> If you think you can resolve one of these, please assign yourself and go
> >> for it. No need to be shy :)
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Neal
> >>
> >>
> >> On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 3:57 PM Neal Richardson <
> >> neal.p.richardson@gmail.com>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >> > Hi all,
> >> > As a reminder, we're trying to close out work on 0.16 this week so
> that
> >> we
> >> > can release next week. As you can see on
> >> >
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ARROW/Arrow+0.16.0+Release,
> >> > we're making good progress. That said, there are still a decent
> number of
> >> > open/in-progress issues tagged for 0.16, probably more than can
> >> > realistically land this week.
> >> >
> >> > I'd encourage everyone to have a look at that board and do a few
> things:
> >> >
> >> > * For tickets that you're "assigned" to (i.e. you're working on
> them), if
> >> > you're not expecting to merge them this week, please push the
> fixVersion
> >> > back to 1.0.0 so they're out of scope. If they land in time, great,
> but
> >> > let's move the nonessential tasks out of the way.
> >> > * For tickets that you reported and haven't been picked up, please
> review
> >> > whether you think you can do them this week (or know someone who can),
> >> and
> >> > bump to 1.0 those that aren't going to happen.
> >> > * Otherwise review the areas of the project that you work on and make
> >> sure
> >> > things are release-ready (including documentation)
> >> >
> >> > Also, as I mentioned yesterday, I've started a draft release
> announcement
> >> > here: https://github.com/apache/arrow-site/pull/41. Please fill in
> where
> >> > you can.
> >> >
> >> > Looking forward to a smooth release. Thanks to everyone for pitching
> in.
> >> >
> >> > Neal
> >> >
> >>
>

Re: 0.16 release preparation

Posted by Sutou Kouhei <ko...@clear-code.com>.
Hi,

https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/6282 isn't a
blocker. It just a nice-to-have feature. So we can cut
0.16.0-rc0 right now without the PR. If there are any
problems in the PR, I think that we should not wait for
it. If we can merge it as-is, I want us to merge the PR and
cut 0.16.0-rc0.

FYI:

It adds the followings:

  * ARM users can install binaries by apt/yum/dnf
    * There is an issue for ARM packages. I'll share it by
      another thread.
  * All Debian/Ubuntu/Yum users can install old versions
    * https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARROW-6893

They aren't provided in 0.15. So they are new features.


Thanks,
--
kou

In <CA...@mail.gmail.com>
  "Re: 0.16 release preparation" on Sun, 26 Jan 2020 19:55:40 +0100,
  Krisztián Szűcs <sz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> 
> I've just merged the last PR for 0.16 release. We have another
> packaging related improvement under [1], so theoretically we're
> good to go once that PR is merged. @Kou what do you think?
> 
> [1]: https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/6282
> 
> 
> On Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 3:00 AM Neal Richardson <ne...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> 
>> Hi folks,
>> Looks like we're still a couple of days away from closing out 0.16. The
>> wiki shows 24 issues still open/in-progress, 4 of which are "blockers".
>> These blockers are:
>>
>> * ARROW-6801 [Rust] Arrow source release tarball is missing benchmarks
>> (breaks the release script)
>> * ARROW-7596 [Python] Only apply zero-copy DataFrame block optimizations
>> when split_blocks=True
>> * ARROW-7603 [CI][Crossbow] Nightly centos 8 job fails (LLVM 8 is installed
>> but 7 is required)
>> * ARROW-7518 [Python] Use PYARROW_WITH_HDFS when building wheels, conda
>> packages (in progress)
>>
>> If you think you can resolve one of these, please assign yourself and go
>> for it. No need to be shy :)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Neal
>>
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 3:57 PM Neal Richardson <
>> neal.p.richardson@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all,
>> > As a reminder, we're trying to close out work on 0.16 this week so that
>> we
>> > can release next week. As you can see on
>> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ARROW/Arrow+0.16.0+Release,
>> > we're making good progress. That said, there are still a decent number of
>> > open/in-progress issues tagged for 0.16, probably more than can
>> > realistically land this week.
>> >
>> > I'd encourage everyone to have a look at that board and do a few things:
>> >
>> > * For tickets that you're "assigned" to (i.e. you're working on them), if
>> > you're not expecting to merge them this week, please push the fixVersion
>> > back to 1.0.0 so they're out of scope. If they land in time, great, but
>> > let's move the nonessential tasks out of the way.
>> > * For tickets that you reported and haven't been picked up, please review
>> > whether you think you can do them this week (or know someone who can),
>> and
>> > bump to 1.0 those that aren't going to happen.
>> > * Otherwise review the areas of the project that you work on and make
>> sure
>> > things are release-ready (including documentation)
>> >
>> > Also, as I mentioned yesterday, I've started a draft release announcement
>> > here: https://github.com/apache/arrow-site/pull/41. Please fill in where
>> > you can.
>> >
>> > Looking forward to a smooth release. Thanks to everyone for pitching in.
>> >
>> > Neal
>> >
>>

Re: 0.16 release preparation

Posted by Krisztián Szűcs <sz...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I've just merged the last PR for 0.16 release. We have another
packaging related improvement under [1], so theoretically we're
good to go once that PR is merged. @Kou what do you think?

[1]: https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/6282


On Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 3:00 AM Neal Richardson <ne...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi folks,
> Looks like we're still a couple of days away from closing out 0.16. The
> wiki shows 24 issues still open/in-progress, 4 of which are "blockers".
> These blockers are:
>
> * ARROW-6801 [Rust] Arrow source release tarball is missing benchmarks
> (breaks the release script)
> * ARROW-7596 [Python] Only apply zero-copy DataFrame block optimizations
> when split_blocks=True
> * ARROW-7603 [CI][Crossbow] Nightly centos 8 job fails (LLVM 8 is installed
> but 7 is required)
> * ARROW-7518 [Python] Use PYARROW_WITH_HDFS when building wheels, conda
> packages (in progress)
>
> If you think you can resolve one of these, please assign yourself and go
> for it. No need to be shy :)
>
> Thanks,
> Neal
>
>
> On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 3:57 PM Neal Richardson <
> neal.p.richardson@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> > As a reminder, we're trying to close out work on 0.16 this week so that
> we
> > can release next week. As you can see on
> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ARROW/Arrow+0.16.0+Release,
> > we're making good progress. That said, there are still a decent number of
> > open/in-progress issues tagged for 0.16, probably more than can
> > realistically land this week.
> >
> > I'd encourage everyone to have a look at that board and do a few things:
> >
> > * For tickets that you're "assigned" to (i.e. you're working on them), if
> > you're not expecting to merge them this week, please push the fixVersion
> > back to 1.0.0 so they're out of scope. If they land in time, great, but
> > let's move the nonessential tasks out of the way.
> > * For tickets that you reported and haven't been picked up, please review
> > whether you think you can do them this week (or know someone who can),
> and
> > bump to 1.0 those that aren't going to happen.
> > * Otherwise review the areas of the project that you work on and make
> sure
> > things are release-ready (including documentation)
> >
> > Also, as I mentioned yesterday, I've started a draft release announcement
> > here: https://github.com/apache/arrow-site/pull/41. Please fill in where
> > you can.
> >
> > Looking forward to a smooth release. Thanks to everyone for pitching in.
> >
> > Neal
> >
>

Re: 0.16 release preparation

Posted by Neal Richardson <ne...@gmail.com>.
Hi folks,
Looks like we're still a couple of days away from closing out 0.16. The
wiki shows 24 issues still open/in-progress, 4 of which are "blockers".
These blockers are:

* ARROW-6801 [Rust] Arrow source release tarball is missing benchmarks
(breaks the release script)
* ARROW-7596 [Python] Only apply zero-copy DataFrame block optimizations
when split_blocks=True
* ARROW-7603 [CI][Crossbow] Nightly centos 8 job fails (LLVM 8 is installed
but 7 is required)
* ARROW-7518 [Python] Use PYARROW_WITH_HDFS when building wheels, conda
packages (in progress)

If you think you can resolve one of these, please assign yourself and go
for it. No need to be shy :)

Thanks,
Neal


On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 3:57 PM Neal Richardson <ne...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
> As a reminder, we're trying to close out work on 0.16 this week so that we
> can release next week. As you can see on
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ARROW/Arrow+0.16.0+Release,
> we're making good progress. That said, there are still a decent number of
> open/in-progress issues tagged for 0.16, probably more than can
> realistically land this week.
>
> I'd encourage everyone to have a look at that board and do a few things:
>
> * For tickets that you're "assigned" to (i.e. you're working on them), if
> you're not expecting to merge them this week, please push the fixVersion
> back to 1.0.0 so they're out of scope. If they land in time, great, but
> let's move the nonessential tasks out of the way.
> * For tickets that you reported and haven't been picked up, please review
> whether you think you can do them this week (or know someone who can), and
> bump to 1.0 those that aren't going to happen.
> * Otherwise review the areas of the project that you work on and make sure
> things are release-ready (including documentation)
>
> Also, as I mentioned yesterday, I've started a draft release announcement
> here: https://github.com/apache/arrow-site/pull/41. Please fill in where
> you can.
>
> Looking forward to a smooth release. Thanks to everyone for pitching in.
>
> Neal
>