Posted to dev@aurora.apache.org by Renan DelValle <re...@apache.org> on 2020/01/28 23:48:38 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Move Apache Aurora into the Attic, reboot project on Github, and dissolve Aurora PMC

Folks,

Per the guidelines to move a project to the Apache Attic [1] and in an effort be fully transparent with the community, I am making it public that we intend to move the Apache Aurora project into the Attic and rebooting the project under its own organization on Github.

As the number of contributors has dwindled with time, we've come to the point where there has only been a sole contributor since September, 2019.

The overhead of running the project as an Apache project is non-negligible and as much as love calling the ASF our home, it feels like the time has come
to move our project out of the ASF umbrella to a home of its own.

Therefore, I propose moving the project to its own organization in Github. To that end I have reserved the organization name aurora-scheduler in Github[2].

I'd also like to note that this decision is not final until the PMC votes on it publicly on the dev list and that everyone should feel free to chime in on this discussion.

I will keep this discussion open until Friday, 12 PM San Francisco time. After that, I will be calling for a vote publicly to proceed with moving the project to the Attic.

-Renan

[1] https://attic.apache.org/process.html
[2] https://github.com/aurora-scheduler