Posted to user@bloodhound.apache.org by "Felipe G. Nievinski" <fg...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/05 20:20:55 UTC

multiple projects -- how to create?

The webpage says:
*Multiple Projects: Easily manage anything from your pet project to dozens
of commercial or open source products, and scale seamlessly in-between. The
built-in Wiki allows you to create proposals and store other information.*
<https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/>

Could you please provide instructions for creating multiple projects?  I
searched, to no avail.  In what ways is Bloodhound's "Multiple Projects"
feature more than what's available in TRAC?

Thanks,
-FGN.

Re: multiple projects -- how to create?

Posted by Joe Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com>.
On 5 Aug 2013, at 19:45, Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 1:20 PM, Felipe G. Nievinski <fg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The webpage says:
>> Multiple Projects: Easily manage anything from your pet project to dozens of commercial or open source products, and scale seamlessly in-between. The built-in Wiki allows you to create proposals and store other information.
>> <https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/>

Apologies, the text on the website should say "Products", not projects. That's because we've focussed on building a great tool to manage software products, not just short term projects.

I will update that in the morning.

>> Could you please provide instructions for creating multiple projects?  I searched, to no avail.
>
> In default installation , provided that user is granted with PRODUCT_ADMIN permission , then browse to /products and you should see a button redirecting you to new product form .

Just FYI, the default admin user you set up during the installation always has those permissions.

>> In what ways is Bloodhound's "Multiple Projects" feature more than what's available in TRAC?

Trac doesn't support multiple products. Tickets are categorised by milestones, versions and components.

In Apache Bloodhound you still have all of those objects, but each also belongs to a product. Each product also has it's own wiki. That way you an divide work more easily and each product has it's own roadmap. Permissions to view, create or modify tickets can also be assigned on a per-product basis.

You can read more about our implementation of this here:
https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/wiki/Proposals/BEP-0003

Cheers,
Joe

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
<fg...@gmail.com>wrote:

> The webpage says:
> *Multiple Projects: Easily manage anything from your pet project to
> dozens of commercial or open source products, and scale seamlessly
> in-between. The built-in Wiki allows you to create proposals and store
> other information.*
> <https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/>
>
> Could you please provide instructions for creating multiple projects?  I
> searched, to no avail.

In default installation , provided that user is granted with PRODUCT_ADMIN
permission , then browse to /products and you should see a button
redirecting you to new product form .

> In what ways is Bloodhound's "Multiple Projects" feature more than what's
> available in TRAC?

If you are looking for an example I recomend you to take a look at these
products

http://blood-hound.net/products

as you can see :

  1. they are all hosted by a single environment
  2. Products base URL is at a different sub-domain like in
edgewall.orgdeployment
      e.g. try http://<prefix>.blood-hound.net
  3. Resources can be grouped in different products exactly in the same
      you expect it to happen in this reference multi-env deployment [1]_
      but inside the same DB
  4. separate admin for products (including trac-admin product admin
<prefix> ...
      commands)
  5. per-product permissions
  6. TRAC_ADMIN vs PRODUCT_ADMIN