Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by "Kuijper, Ed" <ed...@vrgz.nl> on 2014/04/10 13:11:03 UTC

Problems reinstalling openoffice / conflict with libreoffice-writer

Dear mr. or mrs,

I use your Open Office software, version 4.0.1 on a xubuntu system.

Since i have tried tot install also the Libreoffice writer on the system:
- the system package of xubuntu has broken
- it is not possible anymore to uninstall Open Office and uninstall Libreoffice-writer, finally to reinstall Open Office and get rid of Libreoffice.
- it is not possible anymore to download any software at all on the PC.

Everytime i try to repair the xubuntu package, xubuntu asks me to reinstall libreoffice-writer. But when i try tot install, it does'nt succeed. An error is displayed.
On internet i have seen that open office and libreoffice both uses the same files. I.e. the programms conflict with each other.

Can you tell me what i shoud do tot get out of this problem ?

Thanks for your help

Kind regards,

Ed Kuijper
Steffenberg 9
6595 BG Ottersum
Netherlands

Re: Problems reinstalling openoffice / conflict with libreoffice-writer

Posted by Greg Madden <go...@gci.net>.
On Thursday 10 April 2014 03:11:03 you wrote:
> Dear mr. or mrs,
>
> I use your Open Office software, version 4.0.1 on a xubuntu system.
>
> Since i have tried tot install also the Libreoffice writer on the
> system: - the system package of xubuntu has broken
> - it is not possible anymore to uninstall Open Office and uninstall
> Libreoffice-writer, finally to reinstall Open Office and get rid of
> Libreoffice. - it is not possible anymore to download any software at
> all on the PC.
>
> Everytime i try to repair the xubuntu package, xubuntu asks me to
> reinstall libreoffice-writer. But when i try tot install, it does'nt
> succeed. An error is displayed. On internet i have seen that open
> office and libreoffice both uses the same files. I.e. the programms
> conflict with each other.
>
> Can you tell me what i shoud do tot get out of this problem ?
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Kind regards,

Remove Libreoffice. Do not know what package mangager Xubuntu uses, but
removing one of both should work...start over if needed.

Installing Openoffice & Libreoffice from their repective web sites will
install both into '/opt'. Linux distros favor Libroffice and can cause
issues with their packaging.

The latest Libreoffice uses  a link "/usr/bin/libroffice4.2" to point to
where Libroffice is
installed,  "/opt/libreoffice4.2/program/soffice". ..finally ;-(

--
Peace,

Greg

Re: Problems reinstalling openoffice / conflict with libreoffice-writer

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.
Hi,

If you want to install both applications, you need to install them from their deb packages to be downloaded on their websites. The packages delivered by the distro are not compatible.

Since you are not subscribed to this list you may not see all the replies to your query.
To subscribe Apache OpenOffice mailing lists go to
NB: this is more a message for the users mailing list than for the devs.

https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/

Regards,
Hagar