Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de> on 2012/09/27 11:25:00 UTC

Licensing problems

Folks,

I just reviewed the ASFs policy on including/linkting to software with
incompatible licenses (e.g. GPL/LGPL) [1]. If my reading is right, we are
OK to do that as long as the components depending on incompatible stuff
are not part of our official distribution. So a binary tapestry-hibernate
jar is OK since the binaries are not part of our official distribution,
only the source is. This means however, that we are not allowed to include
sources for modules that depend on software with incompatible licenses in
our official distribution, which we are currently doing, e.g. with
tapestry-hibernate.

What we need to do is

1. check the licenses of all dependencies and see if they are incompatible
to the ASL
2. remove the affected modules from the source distribution and replace
them with instructions on how to obtain them

Uli

[1] http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#optional

Re: Licensing problems

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.
I fully agree with Bob's interpretation of this. Integrations to
*optional* components have traditionally been ok. I'm sure we can find
plenty of examples of this in other projects. For example,
OpenMeetings (currently in incubation) is going way, way deeper with
their integrations to (L)GPL codebases than our tapestry-hibernate,
and there are some interesting cases there if you care to follow.

Kalle

Re: Licensing problems

Posted by Bob Harner <bo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Licensing problems

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.

Re: Licensing problems

Posted by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org>.
 From all of my dealings with licensing, your interpretation is correct.
If Tapestry depended on Hibernate to function, then there would be a
problem. However, it truly is optional. If it weren't optional, you
would have to provide a license compatible option out of the gate, with
the ability for people to switch at their choice to stay within
requirements.

Re: Licensing problems

Posted by Bob Harner <bo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Licensing problems