Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Peter Lynch <pe...@yahoo.com> on 2001/06/27 06:20:27 UTC

Multiple error pages

Can someone please confirm that the design of Turbine
by default supports having only one Error Template to
show all errors? I can't see where VelocityErrorScreen
actually comes into play.

-Peter

Re: Multiple error pages

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@apache.org>.
On 6/27/01 12:20 AM, "Peter Lynch" <pe...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Can someone please confirm that the design of Turbine
> by default supports having only one Error Template to
> show all errors? I can't see where VelocityErrorScreen
> actually comes into play.

Exceptions are percolated up to Turbine.java and the template to
use for errors is specified in the TRP. It's actually confusing
the way it's setup in the TDK sample app. The screen is set
to VelocityErrorScreen and the error template is set to
Error.vm. So Error.vm is rendered after the VelocityErrorScreen
is executed.

The VelocityErrorScreen just places the processing exception
and a stack trace.

Ideally we should have a template named VelocityError.vm
and have a screen named VelocityError. Then we could just
specify an template.error property in the TRP file an omit
the screen.error property. So if an error occurred VelocityError.vm
would be rendered with the VelocityError screen placing values
into the velocity context before the template was rendered.

I will fix this, it is rather confusing. Right now both the
screen and template are set and it should just be the template.

> -Peter

jvz.

Jason van Zyl

http://tambora.zenplex.org