Posted to users@royale.apache.org by "Anil Guntur - aguntur@us.ibm.com" <ag...@us.ibm.com> on 2020/06/24 04:04:54 UTC

First time using Apache Royale

Hello,
We have a big Flex project with action script (compiled to a SWF). Looking at ways to convert to a JS/HTML version. Came across Apache Royale. Could anyone give me a few pointers on where to look for things like

  *   Flex/ActionScript equivalent To Royale/JavaScript library.
  *   what should we consider before starting the conversion

I have played with the sample project and configured Visual studio Code with Royale 0.9.7 SDK.

Thanks
Anil

RE: First time using Apache Royale

Posted by "Anil Guntur - aguntur@us.ibm.com" <ag...@us.ibm.com>.
Thank you very much Piotr.. This is what I was looking for.. will explore and post questions as I go through the conversion exercise

From: Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, June 25, 2020 at 3:54 AM
To: "users@royale.apache.org" <us...@royale.apache.org>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: First time using Apache Royale

Hi Anil,

To addition of what Harbs provided I would like to answer to your question about list of components. We don't have anywhere documented it straightforward. However you can look into ASDoc app [1] and search there. Another option is just take a look into the Royale code where there is sort of a list what has been emulated.

MX components [2]
Spark components [3]

I hope it helps.

[1] http://apacheroyaleci2.westus2.cloudapp.azure.com:8080/job/Royale_ASDoc_Example/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/examples/royale/ASDoc/bin/js-release/index.html#!mx.collections<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__apacheroyaleci2.westus2.cloudapp.azure.com-3A8080_job_Royale-5FASDoc-5FExample_lastSuccessfulBuild_artifact_examples_royale_ASDoc_bin_js-2Drelease_index.html-23-21mx.collections&d=DwMFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=9ECLToI-QOU_Ov6Tjr8kHGQhTDrlB2VQIbfcQxNoCMc&m=NUIhkrSVWK-Zl2CGVFoXSrzypxaLtukDR59dagP2cwc&s=VHC8ipKMpYY_efencRDEhZdjy553L5Mj-xCPiUNtSG4&e=>
[2] https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs/blob/develop/frameworks/projects/MXRoyale/src/main/royale/MXRoyaleClasses.as<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_apache_royale-2Dasjs_blob_develop_frameworks_projects_MXRoyale_src_main_royale_MXRoyaleClasses.as&d=DwMFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=9ECLToI-QOU_Ov6Tjr8kHGQhTDrlB2VQIbfcQxNoCMc&m=NUIhkrSVWK-Zl2CGVFoXSrzypxaLtukDR59dagP2cwc&s=USUu3gUADXwOrO3SqFh00PRGpufobepwcZQo5_bUZPw&e=>
[3] https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs/blob/develop/frameworks/projects/SparkRoyale/src/main/royale/SparkRoyaleClasses.as<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_apache_royale-2Dasjs_blob_develop_frameworks_projects_SparkRoyale_src_main_royale_SparkRoyaleClasses.as&d=DwMFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=9ECLToI-QOU_Ov6Tjr8kHGQhTDrlB2VQIbfcQxNoCMc&m=NUIhkrSVWK-Zl2CGVFoXSrzypxaLtukDR59dagP2cwc&s=GuXRHDHjNUV4L7qqWwEQ9-i9W_1phhQ-fQqfwIaJmcQ&e=>

Thanks,
Piotr

śr., 24 cze 2020 o 08:39 Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>> napisał(a):
Some points to consider:

* Any “generic” AS3 code should work with no modifications. This likely includes business logic, plumbing such as PureMVC, etc.
* You will need to modify any code which has a flash package dependency. Many classes such as Event and IEventDispatcher have direct counterparts in Royale, so you can simply change your imports to reference the Royale versions.
* You will need to make a decision on how to handle Flex code.

As far as Flex code goes, you have options:
1. There are emulation components which give you more-or-less the functionality and look of MX and Spark Flex 4 components. This component set is not complete, but it’s pretty close. You’ll likely need to do some tweaking, but this should give you more-or-less the same UI in HTML with the least effort.
2. You can choose to change the Flex UI for a new more modern one.

If you choose to change the UI, it’ll be easiest if you have good separation of model and view. There’s a number of UI opttions:
1. You can use Basic components, but you’ll need to set styling yourself to get the look you want.
2. You can use Jewel, which is a CSS-themed component set designed for Royale. You can pick a color theme with Jewel as well.
3. There’s an MDL component set which uses MDL css.
4. You can use other styling such as Spectrum https://github.com/unhurdle/spectrum-royale<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_unhurdle_spectrum-2Droyale&d=DwMFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=9ECLToI-QOU_Ov6Tjr8kHGQhTDrlB2VQIbfcQxNoCMc&m=NUIhkrSVWK-Zl2CGVFoXSrzypxaLtukDR59dagP2cwc&s=oQO2lGaWHlf3r8v1apG3M6W2bWZqSLturMnQjATLZFs&e=> https://unhurdle.github.io/spectrum-royale/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__unhurdle.github.io_spectrum-2Droyale_&d=DwMFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=9ECLToI-QOU_Ov6Tjr8kHGQhTDrlB2VQIbfcQxNoCMc&m=NUIhkrSVWK-Zl2CGVFoXSrzypxaLtukDR59dagP2cwc&s=jirD8u6tPWrFTrjEJt38qQQrA4x2FWqHNWBHBuhbx-A&e=>
5. If you have your own CSS, you can create your own component set. You can use Spectrum as a model on how to do that.

HTH,
Harbs

--

Piotr Zarzycki

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/piotrzarzycki<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.patreon.com_piotrzarzycki&d=DwMFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=9ECLToI-QOU_Ov6Tjr8kHGQhTDrlB2VQIbfcQxNoCMc&m=NUIhkrSVWK-Zl2CGVFoXSrzypxaLtukDR59dagP2cwc&s=exraAbFxVnqQMgNb4B12BudsQ7ug4JWOfyJi89doLfI&e=>

Re: First time using Apache Royale

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Anil,

--