Posted to asp@perl.apache.org by John Drago <jd...@e-commedia.net> on 2004/03/15 16:19:35 UTC

Perl editor

Just out of curiosity, what editor do you folks normally use when
writing perl?

What editor do you used when writing perl inside HTML in ASP-style?

Have you heard of the OptiPerl Visual IDE?  I have been using it for
some time and really like it.

I don't mean to sound like I'm "plugging" OptiPerl, but I like it so
much and it saves me so much time coding that I thought I would pass on
a personal recommendation.

OptiPerl has *hands down* the best syntax-coloring I have ever seen.
Take a look at a screenshot: http://doc.e-commedia.com/optiperl_d.png

Some other features I like include:
	Integrated POD-viewer
	Project Manager
	Code-explorer, with listings of scalars, arrays, hashes,
subroutines, packages, PODs, exported symbols, uses and requires.
	Debugger
	Remote debugger
	Internal webserver and support for use with an external
webserver

It is also extensible in almost any way imaginable via your own perl
plugins.  If you want to write a plugin with a GUI, you can use perl/Tk.
Several examples are included.

OptiPerl is a Windows program for now, but I have tried it on Linux with
CrossOver Office and it worked well.  Xarka.com (the company that
created OptiPerl) has mentioned the possibility of a Linux version going
into alpha soon.

Of course, when I'm just logged in over SSH I use pico when I can (never
quite got the vi commands down).

John Drago | Chief Architect of Software Development
E-com Media Group, Inc. [www.e-commedia.com]
office
::
 303.790.7940 x25
email
::
 jdrago@e-commedia.com

E - b u s i n e s s   w i t h   D i m e n s i o n TM

RE: Perl editor

Posted by Gregory Youngblood <gr...@mail.netio.org>.

Not to start a religious war, but I use Xemacs with Cperl mode.

> > What editor do you used when writing perl inside HTML in ASP-style?

I found a Cperl/HTML mode. It's not as good as I'd like, but it does the
job.

Oh, and I also use vim when I need to do a quick edit on something here and
there. :)

Re: Perl editor

Posted by Warren Young <wa...@etr-usa.com>.
John Drago wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, what editor do you folks normally use when
> writing perl?

vim with syntax highlighting enabled.

> What editor do you used when writing perl inside HTML in ASP-style?

Ditto, with these additions to my .vimrc file:

function SetupASP()
     exe "set syntax=aspperl"
     call SetTS(2)
endfunction

au BufEnter *.html call SetTS(2)
au BufEnter *.asp call SetupASP()
au BufEnter *.inc call SetupASP()
au BufLeave *.html call SetTS(4)
au BufLeave *.asp call SetTS(4)
au BufLeave *.inc call SetTS(4)

The tabstop changes aren't essential.  I just like less indenting with
HTML, because it gets so deeply nested, especially with embedded ASP code.

> Have you heard of the OptiPerl Visual IDE?  I have been using it for
> some time and really like it.

But it isn't vi!  It isn't an editor if it isn't vi.  >:)

> Of course, when I'm just logged in over SSH I use pico when I can (never
> quite got the vi commands down).

Time you learned...

Re: Perl editor

Posted by Helmut Zeilinger <hz...@hzlabs.de>.
Hi,

i use the j-editor from Peter Graves (http://armedbear.org).

It is running under linux and windows (java) and one can switch between
different highlight modes (perl, html, java, javascript and many others).

Regards

Helmut

--On Monday, March 15, 2004 08:19:35 -0700 John Drago

Re: Perl editor

Posted by Skylos the Doggie <sk...@doglover.com>.
On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, John Drago wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, what editor do you folks normally use when
> writing perl?

vim

> What editor do you used when writing perl inside HTML in ASP-style?

vim

> Have you heard of the OptiPerl Visual IDE?  I have been using it for
> some time and really like it.

Nope.

> I don't mean to sound like I'm "plugging" OptiPerl, but I like it so
> much and it saves me so much time coding that I thought I would pass on
> a personal recommendation.
>
> OptiPerl has *hands down* the best syntax-coloring I have ever seen.
> Take a look at a screenshot: http://doc.e-commedia.com/optiperl_d.png

Its pretty, but I tried to use it on my windows machine and I couldn't get
it to look anything like that.

> Some other features I like include:
> 	Integrated POD-viewer
> 	Project Manager
> 	Code-explorer, with listings of scalars, arrays, hashes,
> subroutines, packages, PODs, exported symbols, uses and requires.
> 	Debugger
> 	Remote debugger
> 	Internal webserver and support for use with an external
> webserver
>

> It is also extensible in almost any way imaginable via your own perl
> plugins.  If you want to write a plugin with a GUI, you can use perl/Tk.
> Several examples are included.
>
> OptiPerl is a Windows program for now, but I have tried it on Linux with
> CrossOver Office and it worked well.  Xarka.com (the company that
> created OptiPerl) has mentioned the possibility of a Linux version going
> into alpha soon.

But it'd still be a GUI app, wouldn't it?  I don't work on GUI's with code
99% of the time.

> Of course, when I'm just logged in over SSH I use pico when I can (never
> quite got the vi commands down).

A shame, once you know them vi goes really fast.

Skylos

- skylos@doglover.com
- The best part about the internet is nobody knows you're a dog.
  (Peter Stiener, The New Yorker, July 5, 1993)
- Dogs like... TRUCKS!  (Nissan commercial, 1996)
- PGP key: http://dogpawz.com/skylos/mykey.asc