Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Brady Cottam <Br...@biofiredefense.com> on 2018/06/14 14:24:37 UTC

Perforce to Subversion

Can anyone tell me if you can import data from Perforce into Subversion with any ease?

Thanks
Brady

________________________________

[cid:image001.gif@01D403B9.219AE760]

Brady Cottam
Applications Engineer
BioFire Defense
79 W 4500 S Suite 14 | Salt Lake City, Utah 84107 USA
Office: 801-262-3592 x1380
Email: Brady.Cottam@biofiredefense.com<ma...@biofiredefense.com>

[cid:image002.gif@01D403B9.219AE760]
www.BioFireDefense.com<http://www.biofiredefense.com/>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments are confidential information of the sender and are for the exclusive use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of this email or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by returning it to the sender and delete this copy from your system. Thank you for your cooperation.

Re: Perforce to Subversion

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 10:24 AM, Brady Cottam <
Brady.Cottam@biofiredefense.com> wrote:

> Can anyone tell me if you can import data from Perforce into Subversion
> with any ease?
>

> Thanks
> Brady

*Data* is trivial. *History* especially older and contorted history as
projects got re-arranged or accidentally mislaid, or chunks re-arranged,
*that* can be hard. The tool you're looking for is called "p4tosvn", and
there have been many variants. One of the dirtier ones, that allows
scrubbing idle or no longer used hisstory, is at
https://matschaffer.com/2009/11/migrate-from-perforce-to-svn/. That
actually uses the built-in git tools to pull from p4, and to export to svn.
That gives you the chance, if you want it, to delete obsolete branches or
bulky unwanted binaries and get them out of hte history.

Re: Perforce to Subversion

Posted by tr...@oracle.com.
On 06/14/2018 10:24 AM, Brady Cottam wrote:

> Can anyone tell me if you can import data from Perforce into
> Subversion with any ease?
>
> Thanks
> Brady

Yes, the converter at http://p42svn.tigris.org/ does a good job. I'm not
sure any conversion of any significance can ever be done "with ease",
but I have done extensive work on this over the years to make it as easy
as I could.

But keep in mind that it can take some time depending on the amount of
history and the size of each rev;  e.g. my last conversion took a couple
of months to do over 100k revs.

Let me know if you have any questions about it.

trent...