Posted to dev@beehive.apache.org by Carlin Rogers <ca...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/02 20:41:57 UTC

Plan to upgrade NetUI from Apache Struts version 1.2.7 to 1.2.9

Looking at BEEHIVE-1128, the upgrade to use Struts 1.2.9 from 1.2.7
includes a Struts API change. Version 1.2.9 includes a security fix
for the Struts <html:cancel> tag and validation (Struts bug 38374)
where the signature of the Struts RequestProcessor method
processValidate() has changed. It now includes another checked
exception in the throws clause, InvalidCancelException. It is a new
exception, added to 1.2.9 for the fix to the Struts bug.

The Beehive NetUI class, PageFlowRequestProcessor, extends the Struts
RequestProcessor class and overrides the processValidate() method. For
the Struts upgrade, the NetUI upgrade PageFlowRequestProcessor would
get the same signature change. From what I understand, this should not
be cause a binary compatibility issue. The throws clauses are only
checked at compile time. See the Java language spec...

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/second_edition/html/binaryComp.doc.html#45262

The only jar to change in the upgrade is the struts.jar. The commons
validator, etc. are still the same.

Does anyone have an issue or suggestion before going forward with the
upgrade to Struts 1.2.9?

Thanks,
Carlin

Re: Plan to upgrade NetUI from Apache Struts version 1.2.7 to 1.2.9

Posted by Carlin Rogers <ca...@gmail.com>.
Rich, Eddie,

Great! Thanks for the feedback. I'll check this in shortly. The
revision will include a couple of test recordings because 1.2.9 adds
some additional information to the ActionConfig.toString() which
impacts 3 of the NetUI tests. I have made a second edition of each of
the original recordings to be used with Struts 1.1 back compat
testing.

Thanks again,
Carlin

Posted by Eddie O'Neil <ek...@gmail.com>.