Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Yaniv_Shaya <Ya...@orsus.com> on 2001/11/28 12:56:33 UTC

XSLT vs. My own transformation langauge Pros/Cons ?

Hi,

This is a non-standard question in this group but requires inside
information on XSLT engine and language.

I have my own hierarchical structures with my own implementation (can't base
it on existing XML DOM implementations for my own reasons). This
hierarchical structure uses only a subset of XML capabilities.

I need to do conversions from one hierarchical structure to another, and I
want the conversions to be based on some language.

I can invent my own language, which would be specific for my hierarchy
structures to describe such conversions, or:

Build DOM interface over the hierarchy as the input, Implement SAX interface
for filling my hierarchy from the XSLT output and use XSLT language and XSLT
engine to do the actual conversion work.

Basically the operations I want to achieve are those you would want to do
when you convert one structure to another (including arrays inside the
structures etc.)

My question is about performance.

Does XSLT inherently has any reasons for being slower than any language I
would invent on my own (because it is more generic, have to support XML
which is more flexible than simple hierarchies, etc.) and therefore I better
use my own language ?

Or if I build my own language I'll end up with the same performance results
as XSLT (or even worse, because those who work on XLST invest time on
profiling the algorithm and implementation as a main issue, which I won't
have the time to do that much).

Thanks,
	Yaniv.

Yaniv Shaya
yaniv@orsus.com
Orsus Solutions Ltd.
2 Hayotzrim Street, P.O.B 195
Or-Yehuda 60218, Israel
Tel: +972-3-5386702, Fax: +972-3-5386700