Posted to dev@skywalking.apache.org by 吴晟 Sheng Wu <wu...@foxmail.com> on 2018/08/30 04:49:55 UTC

Here the draft our SkyWalking Sep. incubator report

Hi everyone

Here is the report I wrote about the status of SkyWalking in the last three months,
many positive things happen, I am excited about that.

If anyone finds I miss something, please reply this mail, I will add it into the report.

____
SkyWalking  Skywalking is an APM (application performance monitor), especially for microservice, Cloud Native and container-based architecture systems. Also known as a distributed tracing system. It provides an automatic way to instrument applications: no need to change any of the source code of the target application; and an collector with an very high efficiency streaming module.  SkyWalking has been incubating since 2017-12-08.  Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:    1. IP clearance.   3. First ASF release. (SkyWalking 5.0)   3. Further ASF culture and processes.   4. 5.x releases are stable for product, and have 5 open end users, at least.   5. Support multiple languages agents/SDKs.   6. Integration with other pupolar OSS systems. Zipkin data format supported.  Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware of?    Have three Apache releases already. 5.0.0-alpha, 5.0.0-beta, 5.0.0-beta2.   Another release is on going, 5.0.0-RC  How has the community developed since the last report?      1. .NetCore agent goes well, as a community agent implementation, have received it is being used in product env.   2. Node.js agent supports `egg` framework, releases the new version.   3. More than 35 companies have confirmed they are using SkyWalking through issue report or our powered-by page.   4. There are 57 people to contribute codes to our main repo. 19 more than the last report.   How has the project developed since the last report?    The project has a diverse community, many users, contributors are from different companies.   There has been 100 commits by more than 30 contributors in the three months.   In beta2 release milestones, there are 160 issues and pull requests solved.   In RC release milestones, there are 124 issues and pull requests solved.  How would you assess the podling's maturity? Please feel free to add your own commentary.    [x] Initial setup   [x] Working towards first release   [x] Community building   [ ] Nearing graduation   [ ] Other:  Date of last release:    beta2 12 Jul 2018   RC(voting)  30 Aug 2018      When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?    May. 2018

Sheng Wu
Apache SkyWalking