Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2017/05/08 10:08:08 UTC

Git repo naming

On Mon, 2017-05-08 at 11:48 +0200, Michael Osipov wrote:
> Based on Daniel Gruno's answer, we should discuss repo names first.
>
> Michael

OK. How about this?

HttpCore -> httpcomponents-core
HttpClient -> httpcomponents-client
Project -> httpcomponents-project
Website -> httpcomponents-website

Oleg

Re: Git repo naming

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2017-05-08 at 13:12 -0600, Bindul Bhowmik wrote:

> [Not a committer, so just a user comment]
>
> While, it may be required to create the repositories using that name,
> I think infra should be able to preserve the repositories and rename
> them after they are created (if they can't already do it before the
> migration). For instance, every time a repo is created for an
> incubator project, repositories use the format
> incubator-<project>-<repo>, but when the project graduates, the repos
> get renamed to <project>-<repo>.

Hi Bindul

Yes, this would probably be the best course of action.

> Also, since httpcore and httpclient are already mirrored on git.a.o
> and github, wouldn't it be easier to rename/move the mirrors to
> git-wip-us.a.o and mark svn ro (and of course move the notifications,
> etc.) rather than creating brand new repos and running svn-to-git
> migration again?

This is actually the process recommended by infra.

I am not going to re-run svn-to-git again. I have a local Git repo
which is essentially an exact mirror of the SVN repository. I have been
using that repo to commit to SVN for years.

Cheers

Oleg

Re: Git repo naming

Posted by Bindul Bhowmik <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 12:34 PM, Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org> wrote:
> Am 2017-05-08 um 15:51 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:

>> According to Daniel Gruno's comment we need to keep the existing repo
>> names "...the existing github mirror should be retained as is when we
>> switch over, git does some magic there..."
>>
>> I guess we have no choice as far as HttpCore and HttpClient go.
>

> That's pretty bad actually, but we have to accept this. I asked Daniel for a
> precise example.
>
>> HttpCore -> httpcore
>> HttpClient -> httpclient

[Not a committer, so just a user comment]

While, it may be required to create the repositories using that name,
I think infra should be able to preserve the repositories and rename
them after they are created (if they can't already do it before the
migration). For instance, every time a repo is created for an
incubator project, repositories use the format
incubator-<project>-<repo>, but when the project graduates, the repos
get renamed to <project>-<repo>.

Also, since httpcore and httpclient are already mirrored on git.a.o
and github, wouldn't it be easier to rename/move the mirrors to
git-wip-us.a.o and mark svn ro (and of course move the notifications,
etc.) rather than creating brand new repos and running svn-to-git
migration again?

Bindul

Re: Git repo naming

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2017-05-08 um 20:59 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:

>> If you want to merge stuff this seems ok for me. We'd might be
>> better
>> off to have a distinct directory for the parent and a dirtecory for
>> project-related stuff.
>>

> I suppose git repositories are cheap. The question is whether or not
> parent POM and style check should have the same release cycle. I
> suppose they should.

Do the changes go in hand or are they disjoint?

Re: Git repo naming

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2017-05-08 at 20:34 +0200, Michael Osipov wrote:

> > > This was intentional. I would also like to use that repository to
> > > contain style check definitions and possibly other project global
> > > things.
> > >
> > > Can you live with it being httpcomponents-project?
>
> If you want to merge stuff this seems ok for me. We'd might be
> better
> off to have a distinct directory for the parent and a dirtecory for
> project-related stuff.

I suppose git repositories are cheap. The question is whether or not
parent POM and style check should have the same release cycle. I
suppose they should.

> I assume that there will be little or no benefit by migrating
> project
> and website since there is virtually no contribution to it, is it?

I hope this might change.

Oleg

Re: Git repo naming

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Re: Git repo naming

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2017-05-08 at 14:54 +0200, Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:

> > > OK. How about this?
> > >
> > > HttpCore -> httpcomponents-core
> > > HttpClient -> httpcomponents-client
> > > Project -> httpcomponents-project
> > > Website -> httpcomponents-website
> >
> > From my point of view, httpcomponents-project is too generic. I'd
> > rather see
> > httpcomponents-parent.

According to Daniel Gruno's comment we need to keep the existing repo
names "...the existing github mirror should be retained as is when we
switch over, git does some magic there..."

I guess we have no choice as far as HttpCore and HttpClient go.

HttpCore -> httpcore
HttpClient -> httpclient
Project -> httpcomponents-project
Web site -> httpcomponents-website

If I hear no complaints I'll proceed with migration of HttpCore and
HttpClient as a first step.

Oleg

Re: Git repo naming

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Re: Git repo naming

Posted by Michael Osipov <19...@gmx.net>.
> On Mon, 2017-05-08 at 11:48 +0200, Michael Osipov wrote:
> > Based on Daniel Gruno's answer, we should discuss repo names first.
> >
> > Michael
> >

> OK. How about this?
>
> HttpCore -> httpcomponents-core
> HttpClient -> httpcomponents-client