Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2004/08/08 01:28:22 UTC

[mp2] need $r->get_remote_logname test

Is anybody familiar with RFC1413?

We provide this API but there is no test. Any takers to write this test?
I suppose it requires identd or auth daemon...

=head2 C<get_remote_logname>

Retrieve the login name of the remote user.  Undef if it could not be
determined
RFC1413, which involves querying the client's identd or auth daemon.

   $ret = $r->get_remote_logname();

=over 4

=item obj: C<$r>
( C<L<Apache::RequestRec object|docs::2.0::api::Apache::RequestRec>> )

The current request

=item ret: C<$ret> (string)

The user logged in to the client machine

=item since: 1.99_12

=back

Re: [mp2] need $r->get_remote_logname test

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>> Is anybody familiar with RFC1413?
>

> Sadly, yes, I am.
>
>> We provide this API but there is no test. Any takers to write this test?
>

> Writing a test like this one will prove to be near impossible. You need
> to be root to run the identd deamon, and I am not sure it would be wise
> to get the test-suite to try and start/listen on the identd port ? Too
> bad you can't configure what port httpd's ident queries go thru.
>
> Not sure there is anything we can do. I mean, we can call the function
> to make sure it is there, but as to being able to validate/verify what
> comes back from it, I don't quite think so.

OK, let's do that then. thanks Philippe.

Re: [mp2] need $r->get_remote_logname test

Posted by "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@ectoplasm.org>.