Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Colm McCartan <co...@owl.co.uk> on 2001/12/03 15:45:35 UTC

PostgreSQL howto update

Hello all,

I think it would be very useful to have the postgreSQL howto brought up
to date as proposed in:

http://www.mail-archive.com/turbine-user%40jakarta.apache.org/msg04195.html

(Nothing to do with the fact that I have just started trying to port to
it.. ;-)

I have one or two questions:

- Is there a stipulated version of pgSQL? I am having trouble with 6.5.3
since it doesn't seem to have a dropdb shell utility. I'm not certain
whether this is because I didn't download the appropriate client tools
for pgSQL or because it simply didn't exist for 6.5.3. Also, some of the
table creation code issued by an ant init appears to be failing due to
bad SQL syntx - again, I'm not sure if this is a version issue.

- We're mostly moving to PostgreSQL for transaction support - has anyone
had good experiences with transactions under MySQL with one of its more
advanced table types e.g. InnoDB?

I'll be happy to document and contribute any of my experiences of moving
a development tdk app from MySQl to production on PostgreSQL, if this
would be useful.

colm