Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> on 2002/06/15 22:32:14 UTC

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/manual/vhosts fd-limits.html.en

rbowen@apache.org wrote:
> rbowen      2002/06/15 13:09:08
>
>   Modified:    docs/manual/vhosts fd-limits.html.en
>   Log:
>   Added configuration example, code example, and a little explanation, to
>   facilitate logging all of your virtual hosts to a single file, and then
>   splitting them back up after. Note that if Apache has problems with this
>   many file handles, Perl might also. I'm not sure.

Note that there is a support script included with apache that does this:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/httpd-2.0/support/split-logfile.in?rev=1.2
or
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/programs/other.html

It is fairly similar to yours, but not quite the same.  Both your script
and the one in httpd-2.0 are missing a necessary security fix from the
1.3 version (strip slashes from the vhost name).

Joshua.

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/manual/vhosts fd-limits.html.en

Posted by Tony Finch <do...@dotat.at>.
On Sun, Jun 16, 2002 at 06:55:45PM -0400, Joshua Slive wrote:
> Tony Finch wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 15, 2002 at 10:15:17PM -0400, Joshua Slive wrote:
>
> >>I guess you can put pretty much whatever you like in the Host: header.
> >>It is not a major security whole, in my opinion, but it is better not
> >>allowed.
> >
> > Before this hole was fixed in 1.3 it exposed the password file etc.
>
> I don't believe so.  You could only write to files with the .log extension.

I was thinking of users of mod_vhost_alias -- perhaps I should have
checked what started this thread :-)

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch <do...@dotat.at> http://dotat.at/
SOUTHEAST TRAFALGAR: NORTHERLY 3 OR 4. MAINLY FAIR. GOOD.

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/manual/vhosts fd-limits.html.en

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by Tony Finch <do...@dotat.at>.
On Sat, Jun 15, 2002 at 10:15:17PM -0400, Joshua Slive wrote:
> Rich Bowen wrote:
> >
> > Can you elaborate on that? Why would the vhost name ever have a slash in
> > it? I can see that it could be a security problem, but how would one
> > ever get in there?

Script kiddies.

> I guess you can put pretty much whatever you like in the Host: header.
> It is not a major security whole, in my opinion, but it is better not
> allowed.  Cliff just checked in a fix to get rid of the problem in
> httpd-2.0.

Before this hole was fixed in 1.3 it exposed the password file etc.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch <do...@dotat.at> http://dotat.at/
IRISH SEA: SOUTHERLY 5 TO 7, OCCASIONALLY GALE 8. RAIN THEN FAIR. MODERATE
WITH FOG PATCHES BECOMING GOOD.

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/manual/vhosts fd-limits.html.en

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Sat, 15 Jun 2002, Joshua Slive wrote:

> rbowen@apache.org wrote:
> > rbowen      2002/06/15 13:09:08
> >
> >   Modified:    docs/manual/vhosts fd-limits.html.en
> >   Log:
> >   Added configuration example, code example, and a little explanation, to
> >   facilitate logging all of your virtual hosts to a single file, and then
> >   splitting them back up after. Note that if Apache has problems with this
> >   many file handles, Perl might also. I'm not sure.
>
> Note that there is a support script included with apache that does this:
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/httpd-2.0/support/split-logfile.in?rev=1.2
> or
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/programs/other.html

I have *never* noticed that. And I was going to recommend that this
script be included in the bin directory so that people could just look
there, rather than having a full listing in the docs. I guess that's not
necessary. Recommendations? Should I just direct people to that instead?

> It is fairly similar to yours, but not quite the same.  Both your script
> and the one in httpd-2.0 are missing a necessary security fix from the
> 1.3 version (strip slashes from the vhost name).

Can you elaborate on that? Why would the vhost name ever have a slash in
it? I can see that it could be a security problem, but how would one
ever get in there?

--
Pilgrim, how you journey on the road you chose
To find out where the winds die and where the stories go