Posted to dev@pivot.apache.org by Roger Whitcomb <Ro...@rbwhitcomb.com> on 2013/03/06 03:48:33 UTC

Pivot release cycles

Been listening to other Apache projects more and the going rate seems to be (depending on traffic and such) releases every one to three months. Maybe up to six months, but few any less often.

So, what do we think of aiming for point releases every three to four months?  Seems like we could probably sustain that rate ...

~Roger Whitcomb

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Pivot release cycles

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Roger,

> Been listening to other Apache projects more and the going rate seems to be (depending on traffic and such) releases every one to three months. Maybe up to six months, but few any less often.
yes, "release often" is a good mantra :-) ... with less features/fixes
but could be good the same.
Remember only that a Release for any ASF Product require some work
(JIRA administration, QA, Testing, Vote, Publishing, Web Site Updates
for pages and JavaDoc and applications, publishing jars to Maven
Repository, etc) that's not trivial.

> So, what do we think of aiming for point releases every three to four months?  Seems like we could probably sustain that rate ...
for me it's ok, the only problem is that we can't do anything only in
two while trying to keep high standards ... volunteers ? Anything is
useful, from testing to patches, to test case creation, etc ... and
after maybe become a Committer.

Bye,
Sandro