Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Endre Stølsvik <En...@Stolsvik.com> on 2003/11/07 11:41:18 UTC

So what happened with trace?

"Ignore it to death" ..

Excellent.

E.

Re: So what happened with trace?

Posted by Endre Stølsvik <En...@Stolsvik.com>.
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Ceki Gülcü wrote:

| At 03:22 PM 11/10/2003 +0100, Endre Stølsvik wrote:
| >On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Ceki Gülcü wrote:

| >|
| >| I think the text could benefit from some structure.
| >
| >I used the following typographical features to group and structure the
| >text:
| >
| >  * Headings
| >  * Bold (for sub-headings)
| >  * Bullet points
| >  * Fixed width fonts
| >  * Horizontal bars/rules
|
| I heavily edited the text. If you feel that I have done it injustice,
| please accept my apologies.

You took away lots of stuff. I would like you to re-add points about:

* performance overhead (Unless the source is messed with. Wrapping is
slower (to preserve the proper class-name stash), and custom levels
require a single-arg method invocation (along with what happens inside
that method), instead of a no-args method invocation.)

* "writing overhead" (for the "level-extension" type) - it is not as
elegant as with all the other levels - even if this would be the most
frequently used level. You could wrap it (like commons logging), that is
not very good, definately not performance wise.

* need to modify existing code (or at least make wrappers or other stuff)

* Info is another thing (as explained in the other mail).

| >Btw; the excellent argument going something like "so many people already
| >have had to make the trace level themselves, that by incorporating it into
| >log4j natively, we might break their hacks to depserately get the said
| >feature" was really something!
|
| That's not from me, probably from Yoav. Although compatibility is a very
| important consideration, compatibility is not a good reason against the
| TRACE level (assuming that JBoss et al. can cope with the change.)

Well, that argument is still standing on the page, though.

Endre.

Re: So what happened with trace?

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.

--
Ceki Gülcü

      import org.apache.Facetime;
      ApacheCon US 2003, 18-21 November http://apachecon.com/

Re: So what happened with trace?

Posted by Endre Stølsvik <En...@Stolsvik.com>.

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.

Posted by Endre Stølsvik <En...@Stolsvik.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On Monday, November 10, 2003, at 09:57 AM, Endre Stølsvik wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, Ceki Gülcü wrote:
>
> | While everyone is very much encouraged make contributions, this does
> | not mean that we (the developers) have to immediately agree with
> every
> | request. In the particular case of the TRACE level, I think more time
> | is needed to reach a decision.
>
> Seen the pdf from jboss' lawyers? ("geronimo-dev")
>
> They're using jboss' Trace level extension to log4j as an exhibit -
> =since
> apparently also Geronimo is making this extension=!!
>   That's cute; even Apache's internal projects have to extend the log4j
> package with trace (even the largest such project ever in Apache's Java
> history?), since the log4j developers/maintainers refuse to add it.

What's really interesting about this is that JBoss appears to have
violated the Apache license in doing so, and then submitted it as an
example.

LOL

geirm@optonline.net

Re: So what happened with trace?

Posted by Endre Stølsvik <En...@Stolsvik.com>.

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
At 01:57 PM 11/7/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>It seems that most people on the list agreed to wait
>for for the publication of the domain concept.
>
>Btw., it looks as if you have a misconception on how
>open-source works. A lot of effort has gone into
>log4j development, and you can get the results *for free*.
>If at all, then we as users owe something
>to the developers, not the other way around.
>Of course, you can make proposals for change, you
>can bring forward your arguments, etc. But if the
>developers decide not to make that change, being
>insistent doesn't seem to be an appropriate attitude.

+1