Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Achanta Vamsi Subhash <ac...@flipkart.com> on 2015/12/09 09:52:22 UTC

Questions reg. Kafka apis and proxy

Hi,

We are considering hosting Kafka as a service in our company (with multiple
clusters and a common interface) . We have the following questions with
regards to hosting Kafka as a service:

- The recommended Kafka clients and their api have changed since the last 2
releases - producer in 0.8.2 and consumer in 0.9. Are the apis considered
finalized with 0.9 or will there be any change in the apis that might come
in the future?
- Also, currently the client library requires the metadata-broker-list -
meaning that the clients have to know which Kafka cluster they need to
connect to. Is there any well-supported TCP layer proxy for it? (not the
Application layer REST-proxy as it will be used for the higher scale -
millions/sec)
​​
Does anyone have a similar setup? Could you share your opinions?

--
Regards
Vamsi Subhash

Re: Questions reg. Kafka apis and proxy

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Achanta,

The Java producer APIs has been running in some production environment and
is considered stable; the Java consumer APIs in 0.9 is considered beta and
may have light modifications in the future.

About the metadata-broker-list: this config is only needed to bootstrap the
client, hence does not necessarily need to include all the broker hosts,
for example in practice people could set metadata-broker-list as the
address of a load balancer in front of the Kafka brokers that will be
forwarded, and once the client is up and running it can automatically fetch
the full broker list from a metadata request.

Guozhang

--
-- Guozhang