Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> on 2010/04/26 21:43:05 UTC

[GSOC] Congrats to all students

Looks like student GSOC announcements are up (http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/program/list_projects/google/gsoc2010).  Mahout got quite a few projects (5) accepted this year, which is a true credit to the ASF, Mahout, the mentors, and most of all the students!  We had a good number of very high quality student proposals for Mahout this year and it was very difficult to choose.  Of the ones selected, I think they all bode well for the future of Mahout and the students.

For those who didn't make the cut, I know it's small consolation, but I would encourage you all to stay involved in open source, if not Mahout specifically.  We'd certainly love to see you contributing here as many of you had very good ideas.

At any rate, for everyone, keep an eye out on the Mahout project, as you should be seeing lots of exciting features coming to Mahout soon in the form of scalable Neural Networks, Restricted Boltzmann Machines (recommenders), SVD-based recommenders, EigenCuts Spectral Clustering and Support Vector Machines (SVM)!

Should be an exciting summer!

-Grant

Re: [GSOC] Congrats to all students

Posted by Richard Simon Just <in...@richardsimonjust.co.uk>.
Thanks guys! So happy to get it, and really excited that Mahout got 5 slots.

@Robin: I'm totally up for a shared blog, was planning on blogging about
it anyway.

Posted by Sisir Koppaka <si...@gmail.com>.
+1 for shared blog!

Re: [GSOC] Congrats to all students

Posted by zhao zhendong <zh...@gmail.com>.
Thanks everyone! I am so exciting to be accepted and I will do my best to
finish my proposal in time.

A shared blog sounds great to me. The GSoC looks like a training, we suppose
to share the experience with all who interested in Mahout project.

Cheers,
Zhendong

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 3:22 PM, Robin Anil <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Congrats everyone.And a special thanks to Benson for helping us get the
> slots to 5 this year :)
>
> For students that do not get accepted into Google Summer of Code and still
> ready to work on your proposal. ASF has a formalized process by which you
> can work on it if you get a willing mentor from the community. It will be a
> great learning experience and you will get a certification on successful
> completion from Apache. Do take a look. Also its open for everyone not just
> for students.
> http://community.apache.org/mentoringprogramme.html
>
> @FamousFive(The selected students :P) Would you guys be interested in
> keeping track of your experiences via a shared blog. I am thinking of
> setting up one for Mahout along with the website change.
>
> Robin
> Congrats again.

Zhen-Dong Zhao (Maxim)

<><<><><><><><><><>><><><><><>>>>>>

Department of Computer Science
School of Computing
National University of Singapore

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
Also, other useful resources:  https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAHOUT/HowToContribute and https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAHOUT/index#index-Committer%27sResources

-Grant

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Posted by Shannon Quinn <sq...@gatech.edu>.

Posted by Zaid Md Abdul Wahab Sheikh <sh...@gmail.com>.

--
Zaid Md. Abdul Wahab Sheikh
Senior Undergraduate

Re: [GSOC] Congrats to all students

Posted by Sisir Koppaka <si...@gmail.com>.
Thanks everyone!

This is a fantastic opportunity, and I'll try to make the best of this for
myself, as well as Mahout. Hopefully, we'll have a great compilation of deep
learning networks within the next few releases.

BTW, congrats to everyone on Mahout becoming a TLP!

--
SK