Posted to scm-dev@maven.apache.org by Michael Horwitz <mi...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/26 11:15:54 UTC

Maven 2 Release plugin & ClearCase SCM provider

Hi,

I would like to get the Maven 2.x Release plugin working for our projects
where we use ClearCase UCM as our SCM system. There are a couple of issues
with the current ClearCase SCM provider that prevent this from working:

1) The release:prepare goal uses the SCM status command to try and determine
if there are any checkouts in the current view, and fails if the status
command returns any files as being checked out. The current ClearCase
provider's status command looks for checkouts across all views, users &
branches which frequently mis-reports checkouts in our environment (-cview
flag missing from cleartool command).

2) The release:perform goal attempts to create a new view on a tag (using
the checkout command), and then build off that view. Creating a view on a
UCM stream seems not to be supported in the current ClearCase provider? And
changing the config spec to point to elements with a specific tag is also
not currently supported?

As I see it 1) would be easy to implement, 2) is decidedly trickier,
particularly when UCM is involved. I would be more than happy to help get
the required functionality implemented (automating releases using Maven
would be a big win for us), but first need to get up to speed with where &
how the ClearCase provider is used outside Maven 2 (I am none too familiar
with Continuum!). So a few questions:

1) Are there any thoughts as to how to best support ClearCase UCM for the
scenario presented above?
2) Would anything I have suggested break the ClearCase provider integration
with other tools, e.g. Continuum?

Thanks

Mike Horwitz