Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> on 2020/03/01 11:11:19 UTC

[git] Separate git projects for SCR, Configadmin and http

Hi,

I would like to move the SCR implementation, Configadmin implementation
and http implementation into separate git project each (only one for all
http sub projects).

If no one objects, I'll go ahead in the next days.

Thanks
Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler
Adobe Research Switzerland

Re: [git] Separate git projects for SCR, Configadmin and http

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 8:05 AM Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> wrote:

> Thanks, finally an answer about the process - which you ignored last week :)

As you could see from my mail, I was preparing something - I just
didn't work on the weekend.

> I personally don't see why we need to move the site from svn to git as a
> pre-requisite, but if someone is doing that, great.

I grant you that, it is more something that I *think* should happen
first if we have time to work on things. If that is the only thing
missing I'm not going to insist on it.

For sure we need to update it with the current git structure and make
sure we have something for the potential new changes in place.

> Now, in general I agree, but I feel it a little bit strange that you
> allow a new git repository for atomos but want to block everyone else.

As I said, I don't want to block "everyone else". I gave the reason(s)
why I wasn't against atomos in my mail.

> I suggested the three modules, where I see active development; we have
> open issues for them, regularly get feedback etc.

We have some level of development but I don't think it is that much
right now that we absolutely have to break them out right now. I'm
fine with it in these cases (as I said in my mail as well) provided it
is not just a move.

> In how far are these different?

I don't see them completely different but as I said in my mail:
"Having two (and a read-only, almost empty) repos is one thing to
convey and work with - tens (or like some other project have, even
hundreds) is another."

> And of course, if a project gets moved it requires that the history is
> kept and tags are moved etc. but there are existing scripts out there
> which do this.

Yup, see my paragraph about that. To quote

"
"

> That said, I'm fine to wait but then I want to see that people are
> tackling the open points you mention. I'm happy to help where I can of
> course.

Well, as I said, I don't think we are too far off - let's get some
ground rules in place and then we can revisit.

regards,

Karl

--
Karl Pauls
karlpauls@gmail.com

Re: [git] Separate git projects for SCR, Configadmin and http

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Thanks, finally an answer about the process - which you ignored last week :)

I personally don't see why we need to move the site from svn to git as a
pre-requisite, but if someone is doing that, great.

Now, in general I agree, but I feel it a little bit strange that you
allow a new git repository for atomos but want to block everyone else. I
suggested the three modules, where I see active development; we have
open issues for them, regularly get feedback etc. In how far are these
different?

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 7:55 AM Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net> wrote:

> Hi Karl,
>
> Thanks for your feedback.
>
> I think what you said makes sense and we should address these points in a clear way, with a defined process.
>
> So, as I’m volunteer to help, let me come back on this thread with a process proposal, including a detailed action plan where we can agree all together.
>
> Let me prepare something ;)

Thanks, that would be great!

regards,

Karl

--
Karl Pauls
karlpauls@gmail.com

Re: [git] Separate git projects for SCR, Configadmin and http

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Karl,

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
Wait, I am objecting  :-).

--
Karl Pauls
karlpauls@gmail.com

Re: [git] Separate git projects for SCR, Configadmin and http

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1 for that.