Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net> on 2005/12/28 04:32:49 UTC

pyzor vs SA

Greetings;

I found a pyzor package and installed it with yumi on this old FC2 box,
currently running SA-3.10 from kde-3.3.0.

After installing it, I've done no local configuration as it seems not
to have come with a manpage.

It appears that SA (spamc-spamd) have found the pyzor, but are now
logging this:

Dec 27 22:22:31 coyote spamd[474]: spamd: processing message
<43...@netspace.net.au> for gene:500
Dec 27 22:22:31 coyote spamd[474]: internal error
Dec 27 22:22:31 coyote spamd[474]: pyzor: check failed: internal error

And some non-spam mailing list messages are now being sorted into the
JunqueMail folder, marked as read.

So whats the usual procedure here?

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are:

Re: pyzor vs SA

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.
On Wednesday 28 December 2005 01:30, Chris Purves wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>>>try running "pyzor discover"
>>
>> And that returned this:
>> [root@coyote root]# pyzor discover
>> downloading servers from
>> http://pyzor.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/inform-servers-0-3-x
>>
>> Which I assume is the desired result?
>
>Yes, but since it looks like you're running spamassassin as user
> "gene" you'll want to run "pyzor discover" as that user.  It will
> make a .pyzor folder in the home directory of the user.
>

>I'm afraid I don't have any experience with calling spamassassin (or
>spamc) from kmail or any other user agent.  Hopefully someone else
> will be able to shed some light on this.  Good luck.

Well, thats actually pretty easy, and the docs are around I think.
I use 2 filters in the kmail setup, one of which causes the message to
be piped thru spamc, like this:

Filter 'Spamassassin check'
Filter Criteria:  match all of the following
<size> is greater than 20 bytes
<size> is less than 100k bytes
Filter Actions:
Pipe Through, with its text box=, spamc -u gene

Filter 'Spam Handling'
Filter Criteria: Match any of the following
X-Spam-Flag contains YES
<any header> contains X-SPam_Level: *****
Subject contains SPAM
Filter Actions File into Folder JunqueMail
Filter Actions Mark As Read
X in if filter matches, stop

I have this list being picked off before that check, but much of my
other filtering actions are below these two in the filter listing.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are:

Re: pyzor vs SA

Posted by Chris Purves <ch...@northfolk.ca>.
Gene Heskett wrote:

>>try running "pyzor discover"
>
> And that returned this:
> [root@coyote root]# pyzor discover
> downloading servers from
> http://pyzor.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/inform-servers-0-3-x
>
> Which I assume is the desired result?

Yes, but since it looks like you're running spamassassin as user "gene"
you'll want to run "pyzor discover" as that user.  It will make a .pyzor
folder in the home directory of the user.

I'm afraid I don't have any experience with calling spamassassin (or
spamc) from kmail or any other user agent.  Hopefully someone else will
be able to shed some light on this.  Good luck.

--
Good day, eh.
Chris

Re: pyzor vs SA

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.
On Tuesday 27 December 2005 23:01, Chris Purves wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Dec 27 22:22:31 coyote spamd[474]: spamd: processing message
>> <43...@netspace.net.au> for gene:500
>> Dec 27 22:22:31 coyote spamd[474]: internal error
>> Dec 27 22:22:31 coyote spamd[474]: pyzor: check failed: internal
>> error
>
>try running "pyzor discover"

And that returned this:
[root@coyote root]# pyzor discover
downloading servers from
http://pyzor.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/inform-servers-0-3-x

Which I assume is the desired result?

>You can find documentation at:
>
>http://pyzor.sourceforge.net/
>http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/InstallingPyzor
>http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/UsingPyzor

However, I'm not using the SA sample invocation shown at the 3rd site
above, as I'm running spamassassin by calling it spamd in
the /etc/init.d directory, but its actually the renamed spamassassin
start script.

And kmail is interfaceing to spamc with a 'spamc -u gene' in the
filters rule listings.

The overriding $SPAMOPTIONS for spamassassin aka spamd is obtained from
/etc/sysconfig/spamassassin, and presently looks like this:
# Options to spamd
SPAMDOPTIONS="-d -c -m6 -H=/home/gene/.spamassassin
--max-conn-per-child=50 -u gene --virtual-config-dir=/tmp"

So where do I put the -x -C & -r options?

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are:

Re: pyzor vs SA