Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by James Watkin <ja...@anderson.ucla.edu> on 2003/12/09 01:31:13 UTC

Default Value Escaping

Request for a new feature, I think:

I'd like to be able to turn off escaping for the default value in the
<c:out> tag, but not the regular value if it exists.

Here's what I'm trying to do:
When displaying HTML tables that contain CSS borders, I need to put a blank
value(&nbsp;) in those cells that contain null values, otherwise the
borders won't appear correctly. This is a common requirement.

With JSTL 1.0, there's a problem if I try to use this pattern:

The problem is that I want escaping turned on for the regular variable
value, if it exists. Perhaps there should be two new attributes for the
<c:out> tag: valueEscapeXml and defaultEscapeXml.

- Jim

______________________________
James Watkin
ACIS Software Development
The Anderson School at UCLA
james.watkin@anderson.ucla.edu
Voice: 1-310-825-5030
   Fax: 1-310-825-4835

Re: Default Value Escaping

Posted by James Watkin <ja...@anderson.ucla.edu>.
I had considered your suggestion, but I was worried that this could throw
off the formatting in some cases. Also, there may be cases in the future
when I might want a more complicated default value that includes some
visible HTML.

- Jim

Re: Default Value Escaping

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.

Re: Default Value Escaping

Posted by Nic Werner <ni...@link11.net>.
I had fun with:

<c:choose><c:when test="${empty main.outlet_no
}">&nbsp;</c:when><c:otherwise><c:out
value="${main.outlet_no}"/></c:otherwise></c:choose>

- Nic Werner