Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Bill Burton <bi...@progress.com> on 2002/02/12 01:09:30 UTC

DVSL: broken links in xdocs/ant_task_reference.xml

Hello,

There are several links in xdocs/ant_task_reference.xml which expect that
some related Ant documentation is available in a parallel directory.  Of
course these links are all broken.  You can see in the <head> section I
have a <base href ... /> but the site.dvsl doesn't recognize it.

Should site.dvsl be modified to recognize <base href />?

Or,

Should the URL to Ant's documentation be specified as a Toolbox property
and then all the links in the XML file modified to reference this
property.  For example, add something like this to the build.xml:

   <property name="ant.manual.url"
value="http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/manual" />
   <dvsl ...>
       <tool name="toolbox.string.ant_manual_url"
value="${ant.manual.url}" />
   </dvsl>

   Then, in xdocs/ant_task_reference.xml, modify links to Ant docs like:
       href="$toolbox.ant_manual_url/CoreTypes/fileset.html"

Or,

Copy and reformat some of the files linked to in the Ant docs and reformat
into XML.  However, any links in those files should reference the Ant
site.  Although it's better to not duplicate Ant docs, it would be a nice
demonstration of how DVSL could be used to format the Ant manual.  Each of
these files could have a link to the current version on the Ant site so
the latest version is just a click away.

-Bill

Re: DVSL: broken links in xdocs/ant_task_reference.xml

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On 2/11/02 7:09 PM, "Bill Burton" <bi...@progress.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> There are several links in xdocs/ant_task_reference.xml which expect that
> some related Ant documentation is available in a parallel directory.  Of
> course these links are all broken.  You can see in the <head> section I
> have a <base href ... /> but the site.dvsl doesn't recognize it.
>
> Should site.dvsl be modified to recognize <base href />?

It could.

> Or,
>
> Should the URL to Ant's documentation be specified as a Toolbox property
> and then all the links in the XML file modified to reference this
> property.  For example, add something like this to the build.xml:
>
>  <property name="ant.manual.url"
> value="http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/manual" />
>  <dvsl ...>
>      <tool name="toolbox.string.ant_manual_url"
> value="${ant.manual.url}" />
>  </dvsl>
>
>  Then, in xdocs/ant_task_reference.xml, modify links to Ant docs like:
>      href="$toolbox.ant_manual_url/CoreTypes/fileset.html"

Not great, but not bad.

> Or,
>
> Copy and reformat some of the files linked to in the Ant docs and reformat
> into XML.  However, any links in those files should reference the Ant
> site.  Although it's better to not duplicate Ant docs, it would be a nice
> demonstration of how DVSL could be used to format the Ant manual.  Each of
> these files could have a link to the current version on the Ant site so
> the latest version is just a click away.

To me, the upside of doing this means we can make up some dvsl match rules
for ant docs (to help them convert)

The downside is, as you note, being out of sych with ant.

I guess we can still develop the match rules (since we have our own ant
task)  and keeps it maintenance free if we don't have to track the ant docs.

Maybe #2 is the way.

System and Software Consulting
"We will be judged not by the monuments we build, but by the monuments we
destroy" - Ada Louise Huxtable