Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com> on 2005/03/17 04:31:42 UTC

Ruby Lucene port - directly under Lucene TLP?

Hello,

If an existing TLP, such as Lucene, wants to develop a port, such as a
Ruby port of the Lucene library, can the Lucene PMC invite that port
and its developers under its wings directly, or does the port need to
go through the Incubator?  Note that this port is not an existing
external project, but a brand new port that would be developed under
Lucene from scratch by a group of 4-5 developers.

Thanks,
Otis

RE: Ruby Lucene port - directly under Lucene TLP?

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> If an existing TLP, such as Lucene, wants to develop a port, such as a
> Ruby port of the Lucene library, can the Lucene PMC invite that port
> and its developers under its wings directly

> this port is not an existing external project, but a brand new port
> that would be developed under Lucene from scratch by a group of 4-5
> developers.

If you are developing this within the TLP in ASF resources (our mailing
lists, source control, etc.), you do not come through the Incubator.  And if
you are just talking about adding new Committers to an existing community,
you don't need to come through the Incubator.  One can see that grey areas
could exist.  It seems to me that it depends on whether you are creating a
new community or are integrating new people into an existing one.

	--- Noel