Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Vinod Kotnala, Noida" <vk...@noida.hcltech.com> on 2002/10/12 13:13:53 UTC

Unable to use Request object in frames

Hi all,
  I'm successfully able to populate a combo-box in the JSP page using Struts
.. But when I use this JSP as a part of a frame, I get the error : Cannot
find bean 'userList' in any scope.

Why is it not able to find anything in the request object when using frames?
How to resolve this?

I know one work around is to put this list in session object, but I would
like to avoid that

Regards,
Vinod

RE: Unable to use Request object in frames

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@telocity.com>.
Just for the record - this has nothing to do with Struts.

I am assuming that (by using frames) you have split up a single page into 2
or more pages (maybe more)?  In case you weren't aware, each frame is a
separate request.  In fact, you cannot guarantee the order in which those
requests will come in.  So having one put something in the session for the
other will not work.

I have had more than my fair share of dealing with frames.  They can get
complicated quickly and is (IMNSHO) poor design.

For modularity, you are much better off using Tiles.  Complete details on
how to use them are available in the Struts distribution.  If that's not
enough, feel free to ask the list.

Good luck!

James Mitchell
Software Engineer/Struts Evangelist