Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/07 03:18:57 UTC

Transport jars as OSGi bundles

Hi devs,

I would like to propose the transport jar artifacts to be OSGi bundles,
because synapse artifacts are OSGi bundles so that in an OSGi container we
should be able to use these transport jar artifacts as OSGi bundles
effectively.

I would like to do this... since I did the same for synapse artifacts.
Making these artifacts OSGi bundles doesn't affect the normal existing non
OSGi operation of the jar artifacts. Basically we will be having a jar
artifact with some more information on the MANIFEST ...

Thanks,
Ruwan

--
Ruwan Linton
http://wso2.org - "Oxygenating the Web Services Platform"

Re: Transport jars as OSGi bundles

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
+1

I think this will also help the Axis2 people who are OSGifying.

Paul

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 3:11 AM, Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@wso2.com> wrote:
> Ruwan Linton wrote:
>>
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> I would like to propose the transport jar artifacts to be OSGi bundles,
>> because synapse artifacts are OSGi bundles so that in an OSGi container we
>> should be able to use these transport jar artifacts as OSGi bundles
>> effectively.
>>
>> I would like to do this... since I did the same for synapse artifacts.
>> Making these artifacts OSGi bundles doesn't affect the normal existing non
>> OSGi operation of the jar artifacts. Basically we will be having a jar
>> artifact with some more information on the MANIFEST ...
>
> +1, since there would not be any side effects.
>
> Samisa...
>

>> Thanks,
>> Ruwan
>>
>> --
>> Ruwan Linton
>> http://wso2.org - "Oxygenating the Web Services Platform"
>> http://ruwansblog.blogspot.com/
>> 270.7.6/1709 - Release Date: 10/5/2008 9:20 AM
>>

> --
> Samisa Abeysinghe Director, Engineering; WSO2 Inc.
>
> http://www.wso2.com/ - "The Open Source SOA Company"

Paul Fremantle
Co-Founder and CTO, WSO2
Apache Synapse PMC Chair
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: Transport jars as OSGi bundles

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Glen/Andreas,

Sorry for the delay in responding to this ....

You are correct Glen, and the axis2-kernel is the bundle which loads the
transports and these transport bundles can be made available to the axis2
bundle in one of many ways, (transport bundles as fragments of the axis2
fragment host bundle in which case transport bundles will not have its own
classloader rather they will use the classloader of the host bundle, using
the Dynamic-Imports feature on axis2 bundle, using the boot delegation and
so on). For the moment we are using the Dynamic-Imports and I guess
fragments are the cleaner way of doing this.....

After these transport classes are loaded by the axis2 bundle it is just it
who is going to use it and we do not need to export the transports and the
classloader will be able to find the transports.

Thanks,
Ruwan

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.
Hi Andreas: